Thread: to feel like?

• Post Thanks / Like

to feel like?

I have problems with "to feel".
    I cannot decide which options among the ones listed I should use fot these two sentences...

desipite all he had gone through he did not feel like being a victim/ he did not feel a victim/ he felt not like a victim/ he felt not a victim

it was the beginning of a process od identification with him: everybody felt like beinG/felt to be/ felt being his friend, relative, mom, sister

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: to feel like?

Quote Originally Posted by minnie2007 View Post
    I have problems with "to feel".
    I cannot decide which options among the ones listed I should use fot these two sentences...

desipite all he had gone through he did not feel like being a victim/ he did not feel a victim/ he felt not like a victim/ he felt not a victim

it was the beginning of a process od identification with him: everybody felt like beinG/felt to be/ felt being his friend, relative, mom, sister
    This must be very hard to grasp, especially as 'feel' can mean so many things: in "I feel like a hamburger" feel doesn't do the same job as in "I feel like an idiot."

In your first sentence, the "felt not" options are wrong. They would have been acceptable hundreds of years ago, but the simple past is now "did not + V"; 'he did not feel like being a victim' would be wrong in most contexts (although it would be OK in a self-defence class, for someone who, in practice, was always an attacker and wanted a change ). So, of your options, only one is right - 'he did not feel a victim'. There are alternatives though: 'he did not feel [as if] he was/had been a victim' - and using a verb after 'feel' avoids the "hamburger/idiot" ambiguity.

In your second sentence an impersonal "it" would help: "it felt [to him] as if everyone was his friend..." .

b

PS
    In your second sentence 'felt like being' would only be acceptable in an unusual context in which they felt like being [i.e. wanted to be] those things: 'He felt like being my friend' means 'he wanted to be my friend'; it doesn't mean 'I felt that he was my friend.' As in the cases of 'he felt like [being] a victim' and 'I feel like [eating] a hamburger' this use of 'feel like' denotes a preference for some future action or state.

In that sentence, 'felt being' is wrong; 'felt to be' is OK, but it isn't clear who's doing the feeling - so the version with 'it felt...' is preferable.
    Last edited by BobK; 27-May-2007 at 13:12. Reason: PS added

• Post Thanks / Like

thanks.

Concerning my second sentence. What I meant was not to give the idea of him felling etc but rather the idea of the people feeling "like being" his mother, relative, wife, sister, girlfried. For instance if the fans of a famous singer start imagining a life with him, they will, from time to time, feel they are the singer's wife, mother, friend........

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnie2007 View Post
    thanks.

Concerning my second sentence. What I meant was not to give the idea of him felling etc but rather the idea of the people feeling "like being" his mother, relative, wife, sister, girlfried. For instance if the fans of a famous singer start imagining a life with him, they will, from time to time, feel they are the singer's wife, mother, friend........
    In that case 'they felt as though/if they were [becoming]'. There is a move towards just saying 'they felt like his mother...', but I think it's best to avoid that as it allows for another level of ambiguity ('they felt the same feelings as his mother ... had/would have felt').

b

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks........your explanation is clear. My problem is that the more I learn about it the less I can decide which one is suitable.......

If I keep this version:

it was the beginning of a process of identification with him: everybody felt like being his mother, sister, relative.....................

which meaning you get?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

"feel like" + V + "-ing" implies a preference: 'I feel like going out. Let's go to Pirates 3'. So 'everybody felt like being his mother, sister, relative...' doesn't convey the meaning you want; 'everybody felt as if they were his mother, sister, relative...' would be better; if you want to stick with 'felt like' you could use 'everybody felt like his mother...' (though not everyone would regard that as grammatically acceptable - OK in AmE I think, and increasingly accepted in BE).

b

• Post Thanks / Like