XYZ is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Reviewing, articles (FCE)

Could you please check this review? Thank you!

Your favourite magazine is organising a writing competition this month. The prize is a three-day weekend in London, with a visit to a film studio. Write an article, describing a film that you have enjoyed, and explaining why you would recommend it to others.

Write your article (120-180 words)

The best film I have ever seen.

My favourite film is “Terminator 2”. It is a brilliant sequel to “Terminator”, which is even better than the original, directed by James Cameron and with an outstanding actor Arnold Schwarzenegger in the main role.

Despite having some similarities between “Terminator 2” and its predecessor in plot, “T2” is more gripping and describes a struggle between two cyborgs. A friendly terminator T-800 (Schwarzenegger), which is sent from the future to the past to stop an evil T-1000 from killing John, the future leader of resistance, and his mother.

The “T2” is full of amazing and breathtaking special effects, so I would recommend it to spectators who would like to watch and enjoy computer generated scenes.

Another reason why the film should be seen is that it shows a possible way of mankind’s development in the future if machines and computers take over the power.

In conclusion, the reason why the film appeals to me is that besides fascinating special effects and fast-paced plot, it is also a warning to people who think they can control everything. This is one of the greatest films I have ever seen, and you should not miss it.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Reviewing, articles (FCE)

Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    Could you please check this review? Thank you!

Your favourite magazine is organising a writing competition this month. The prize is a three-day weekend in London, with a visit to a film studio. Write an article, describing a film that you have enjoyed, and explaining why you would recommend it to others.

Write your article (120-180 words)

My favourite film is “Terminator 2”. It is a brilliant sequel to “Terminator”, which ["which" here refers to "Terminator" - you need to consider the logic of your sentence] is even better than the original, directed by James Cameron and with an outstanding actor Arnold Schwarzenegger in the main role.

Despite having [delete - not necessary] some similarities between “Terminator 2” and its predecessor in plot, “T2” is more gripping and describes a struggle between two cyborgs. A friendly terminator T-800 (Schwarzenegger), which [Again, you need to look at the logic of your sentence - do you really need this?] is sent from the future to the past to stop an evil T-1000 from killing John, the future leader of resistance [resistance to what?], and his mother.

The [Delete]“T2” is full of amazing and breathtaking special effects, so I would recommend it to spectators who would like to watch and enjoy computer generated scenes.

Another reason why the film should be seen is that it shows a possible way of mankind’s development in the future if machines and computers take over the power.

In conclusion, the reason why the film appeals to me is that besides fascinating special effects and fast-paced plot, it is also a warning to people who think they can control everything. This is one of the greatest films I have ever seen, and you should not miss it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Thank you very much!
    I've corrected the article according to your remarks. Could you please take a look at this?

There is a phrase in the task - describing a film that you have enjoed - does it mean that I need to describe a plot of the film briefly (1 or 2 sentences, as I did it) ?

My favourite film is “Terminator 2”. It is a brilliant science fiction film, which was directed by James Cameron and released in the ‘90s, with an outstanding actor Arnold Schwarzenegger in the main role.

Although the plot of “T2” is similar to its predecessor, this film is more gripping and describes a struggle between a terminator T-800 (Schwarzenegger), which is sent from the future to the past by John to protect himself and his mother, and an evil T-1000, which intends to kill them.

“T2” is full of amazing and breathtaking special effects, so I would recommend it to spectators who would like to watch and enjoy computer generated scenes.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a phrase in the task - describing a film that you have enjoed - does it mean that I need to describe a plot of the film briefly (1 or 2 sentences, as I did it) ?
    I'd say that yes.

And by the way, shouldn't the article have a more interesting title? This is supposed to be an article and people are supposed to read it, so you'll catch their attention if you use a more interesting title and first paragraph

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

A brief summary of the plot is never a bad thing - It is always difficult to be absolutely sure what is wanted when "describe" is used. You are very limited in length, so I think this is about right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post

A brief summary of the plot is never a bad thing - It is always difficult to be absolutely sure what is wanted when "describe" is used. You are very limited in length, so I think this is about right.
    Thank you very much!!!!!!!