Thread: getting on

Post Thanks / Like

getting on

The nearest zoo was at Lucknow, two hundred miles away. Reserving a first class compartment for himself and Timothy(tiger cub) - no one would share a compartment with them -- Grandmother took him to Lucknow where the zoo authorities wre only too glad to receive as a gift a well-fed and fairly civilized tiger. About six months later, when my grandparents were visiting relatives in Lucknow, Grandfather took the opportunity of calling at the zoo to see how Timothy was getting on. I was not there to accompany him, btu I heard all about it when he returned to Dehra.

In dictionaries, `getting on' has many meanings and I don't know which one is appropriate in my context.

Could you tell me the meaning of `getting on' in my context?

retro is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: getting on

Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    The nearest zoo was at Lucknow, two hundred miles away. Reserving a first class compartment for himself and Timothy(tiger cub) - no one would share a compartment with them -- Grandmother took him to Lucknow where the zoo authorities wre only too glad to receive as a gift a well-fed and fairly civilized tiger. About six months later, when my grandparents were visiting relatives in Lucknow, Grandfather took the opportunity of calling at the zoo to see how Timothy was getting on. I was not there to accompany him, btu I heard all about it when he returned to Dehra.

In dictionaries, `getting on' has many meanings and I don't know which one is appropriate in my context.

What about?

To develop, to be in good health

Post Thanks / Like

Timothy is a tiger cub

retro is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hungarian
      • Home Country:
      • Hungary
      • Current Location:
      • Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

Timothy is a tiger cub
    Yes, I have read all of it.
    Animals can also grow bigger and be treated well or badly.

Post Thanks / Like

Additionally, how is Timothy getting on these days? / How is he doing? / How is his situation, his health, and so on? Is he happy?

Does that help?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    Additionally, how is Timothy getting on these days? / How is he doing? / How is his situation, his health, and so on? Is he happy?

Does that help?
    Yes.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why your source is using "getting on." I usually hear "getting along" in everyday speech. It still makes sense, but it's unconventional for the average American to understand "getting on" as meaning "how one is doing."

About six months later, when my grandparents were visiting relatives in Lucknow, Grandfather took the opportunity [of calling at the zoo/of calling the zoo/to call the zoo] to see how Timothy was [getting along/doing].

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeryphex View Post
    I don't know why your source is using "getting on." I usually hear "getting along" in everyday speech. It still makes sense, but it's unconventional for the average American to understand "getting on" as meaning "how one is doing."
    There is more than one dialect of English.

LUCKNOW MAP : UTTAR PRADESH - Maps of India