Thread: good work

Post Thanks / Like

good work

In my culture when we get to know that someone is working just then(doing something that is not having fun), we usually say "Good work(to you)!"
    E.g.: Making a phone call, I realize that the person I called is in the middle of a proofreading job. After apologizing for the interruption, while saying good-bye, I add "good work to you!"
    OR
    I see my neighbour is pruning his cherry-tree, I say "Morning Dave, good work to you!"

Is it the same in English, or is there anything similar that native speakers say in such cases?

Thank you.

Ouisch is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: good work

In AmE, it's more common to make a joke or maybe even a sarcastic remark when you've interrupted someone's work. (They know that you don't mean it in a hurtful way, though. They understand that you're being funny and that you understand they're working hard.)

For example, if you call a friend who works in an office, and he tells you "Oh, I can't talk right now, I have to get this presentation finished in half an hour for my boss." You might reply, "Well, I won't keep you from your fun, then!" Or you simply might say, "I'll let you get back to it then, call me back when you have a chance."

If Dave was outside pruning his tree as you left, you'd probably say something like, "Looks good, Dave. When you're done there you can come over and do my trees!"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: good work

Thank you.
    So why can't I translate it directly? Because you don't say such a thing. The phenomenon does not exist.

Culture shock. We have adopted the greeting "Hello", but most Hungarians also use it when saying good-bye.