Thread: articles

Ana Laura Guest

Wink articles

Hello, Could you please help with this?

Which one is correct:

a)The cat is a mammal.
    b) A cat is a mammal.

Could you please correct these sentences. I have to complete with the/a,an or nothing.

1- In the older days, ___ knights wore an armour when they went into battle. is knights or the knights??

2- I went to the wedding but I couldn't stay for wedding breakfast.

3- He stopped on the crest of the hill to take breath.

4- The Internal combustion engine has revolutionised transport. With or without 'the'?

5- Nonsense talked about ___ education this century outdoes anything in the past. 'the education'??

6- The death of Shelley was a great loss to poetry.

7- He has news for you of great importance OR He has news for you of a great importance??

* The word 'Weather' is abstract... Why is correct to say: ' The weather is very peculiar this year.'

Thank you very much!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: articles

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Laura View Post

Which one is correct:

a)The cat is a mammal.
    b) A cat is a mammal.

Could you please correct these sentences. I have to complete with the/a,an or nothing.

1- In the older days, ___ knights wore an armour when they went into battle. is knights or the knights??

4- The Internal combustion engine has revolutionised transport. With or without 'the'?

5- Nonsense talked about ___ education this century outdoes anything in the past. 'the education'??

7- He has news for you of great importance OR He has news for you of a great importance??

* The word 'Weather' is abstract... Why is correct to say: ' The weather is very peculiar this year.'

Thank you very much!
    Both sentences at the top would be correct.

the knights, the wedding breakfast, a breath, the internal combustion engine, the education, a great loss, of great importance

The English language can be both concrete and abstract, and the vocabulary reflects that.

It'd be easier to say "the weather is/was very peculiar this year" than to say "it sure rained a lot in July and September and was not very windy in February like it usually is and was very cloudy in October when it normally isn't, and what about that tornado between December and January?" A person doesn't usually remember and recall every little detail throughout an entire year's worth of weather, so s/he just notices some sort of deviation from the regular pattern of weather and makes an abstract generalization.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: articles

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Laura View Post

Which one is correct:

a)The cat is a mammal.
    b) A cat is a mammal.

Thank you very much!
    We would prefer you to make your own suggestions first and then we can comment on them.

In the case of your two sentences about cats, both are correct.