• Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool To lock down

Please, can you say to me the meaning of phrasal verb "to lock down"; even not found at phrasal verbs dictionaries.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: To lock down

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    Please, can you say to [tell] me the meaning of phrasal verb "to lock down"; even not [not even] found at [in] phrasal verbs dictionaries.

I think it will help it you can give context.

Bushwhacker is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: To lock down

Thank You for your attention and corrections. Please, before adding some more context for my main question, I'll very appreciate if you can tell me the reason is better saying "tell" than "say to", and the same as for "in" instead of "at". This kind of nuances always worries me.

As for "To lock down", it is said in a text talking on the way camera is used in a movie according to the moment. First part has a hand held camera that moves a lot conveying dinamism, but when focusing in a depressed character named Ray..."Ray's life is very static and filled with desaturated colors, so we locked down the camera. These people live in huge spaces, so we take advantage of the widescreen format. Kind of trying to show the loneliness of it all."

Thank You again.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank You for your attention and corrections. Please, before adding some more context for my main question, I'll very appreciate if you can tell me the reason is better saying "tell" than "say to", and the same as for "in" instead of "at". This kind of nuances always worries me.

As for "To lock down", it is said in a text talking on the way camera is used in a movie according to the moment. First part has a hand held camera that moves a lot conveying dinamism, but when focusing in a depressed character named Ray..."Ray's life is very static and filled with desaturated colors, so we locked down the camera. These people live in huge spaces, so we take advantage of the widescreen format. Kind of trying to show the loneliness of it all."

Thank You again.
    Maybe it means "focused?" If all other characters are conveyed with a "widescreen format," then maybe Ray is conveyed with a more "focused" view?...more black space and less viewable area?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

The simple answer is You say something/ / You tell someone something.

John says goodbye. Mother says stop.
    John tells Jim to go home. Mother tells Jenny a story.

"at" a point/place = I am at home; You are at school
    "in" relates to the interior of something = I am in the house; The words are in the dictionary.

As for "To lock down", it is said in a text talking on the way camera is used in a movie according to the moment. First part has a hand held camera that moves a lot conveying dynamism, but when focusing on a depressed character named Ray..."Ray's life is very static and filled with desaturated colors, so we locked down the camera. These people live in huge spaces, so we take advantage of the widescreen format. Kind of trying to show the loneliness of it all."

Thank You again.
    I think it means exactly that - they made the camera static by locking the mechanism by which it moves, so the actions take place within a fixed image.