Thread: would

Post Thanks / Like

would

The nearest zoo was at Lucknow, two hundred miles away. Reserving a first class compartment for himself and Timothy(tiger cub) - no one would share a compartment with them -- Grandmother took him to Lucknow where the zoo authorities wre only too glad to receive as a gift a well-fed and fairly civilized tiger. About six months later, when my grandparents were visiting relatives in Lucknow, Grandfather took the opportunity of calling at the zoo to see how Timothy was getting on. I was not there to accompany him, but I heard all about it when he returned to Dehra.

I know, generally, the auxiliary verb `would' could be used in the following two ways.
    (1) past tense of will
    (2) In conditional statements.

Now, I wonder, in the above highlighted parts, the word would is used as a `past tense of will' or as a `conditional statement'.

Please help me.

Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: would

Quote Originally Posted by user_gary View Post
    The nearest zoo was at Lucknow, two hundred miles away. Reserving a first class compartment for himself and Timothy(tiger cub) - no one would share a compartment with them -- Grandmother took him to Lucknow where the zoo authorities wre only too glad to receive as a gift a well-fed and fairly civilized tiger. About six months later, when my grandparents were visiting relatives in Lucknow, Grandfather took the opportunity of calling at the zoo to see how Timothy was getting on. I was not there to accompany him, but I heard all about it when he returned to Dehra.

I know, generally, the auxiliary verb `would' could be used in the following two ways.
    (1) past tense of will
    (2) In conditional statements.

Now, I wonder, in the above highlighted parts, the word would is used as a `past tense of will' or as a `conditional statement'.

Please help me.
    Here "would" means "wish"or "have a wish". Cheers!