Thread: to Tdol

Anonymous Guest

Default to Tdol

Dear Tdol, from your answer about the sentence "I'm gone"

It's a colloquial informal usage, where the past participle is used as an ajective; you'll also hear 'I'm gone'when someone is leaving. It is spoken language and doesn't follow the normal rules of grammar.

Is the sentence "I'm gone" is the same as "be gone"? in this paragraph?

Is Brian told Emmett that Brian is leaving or Brian told Emmett that Emmett should go away?

Emmett sighs, "Well, I'd like to thank you boys for leaving me the most tender, delectable morsel. Now that Brian's out of the picture, I might actually stand a chance." I was about to say. Mike says it sounds like Em's not even going to miss Brian. Emmett shrugs, "Well, I certainly won't miss being told 'be gone' every time some hunk appears." Ted replies that he won't miss Brian's non-witty, non-snappy remarks about his age. Emmett has to add, "Although I did think that him referring to you as Dead Man Walking was kind of amusing."

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: to Tdol

Quote Originally Posted by wendy
    Dear Tdol, from your answer about the sentence "I'm gone"

It's a colloquial informal usage, where the past participle is used as an ajective; you'll also hear 'I'm gone'when someone is leaving. It is spoken language and doesn't follow the normal rules of grammar.

Is the sentence "I'm gone" is the same as "be gone"? in this paragraph?

Is Brian told Emmett that Brian is leaving or Brian told Emmett that Emmett should go away?

Emmett sighs, "Well, I'd like to thank you boys for leaving me the most tender, delectable morsel. Now that Brian's out of the picture, I might actually stand a chance." I was about to say. Mike says it sounds like Em's not even going to miss Brian. Emmett shrugs, "Well, I certainly won't miss being told 'be gone' every time some hunk appears." Ted replies that he won't miss Brian's non-witty, non-snappy remarks about his age. Emmett has to add, "Although I did think that him referring to you as Dead Man Walking was kind of amusing."
    In this case, "be gone" is a command. It is telling someone to go away.

In TDOL's "I'm gone", it means "I have left" even though the speaker is still there at the time. It means that he will be leaving immediately.

A: I thought you were leaving.
    B: I'm gone.