Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 20 of 20
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by kohyoongliat View Post
    What do you mean? Could you please explain?
    Torch and flashlight, they can mean the same thing and they can mean different things, which is a bit confusing, wouldn't you agree? Should you find your pen with this or this, or this? Might as well just buy a new pen and leave the other one under the bed.

    Does that help?

  2. #12
    Harry Smith's Avatar
    Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    Torch and flashlight, they can mean the same thing and they can mean different things, which is a bit confusing, wouldn't you agree? Should you find your pen with this or this, or this? Might as well just buy a new pen and leave the other one under the bed.

    Does that help?
    Yes, better buy another pen and leave the other under the bed until you buy a torch or a flash light.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is sentence correct?

    No. Instead of buying a torch or flashlight. The whole thing could turn into an ordeal. Wouldn't it be cheaper, not to mention less time consuming (i.e., having to figure out the name of the thing you need to buy to find your pen)? Why not just buy a new pen and forget about the one under the bed? You're at the store anyway.

  4. #14
    Harry Smith's Avatar
    Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    No. Instead of buying a torch or flashlight. The whole thing could turn into an ordeal. Wouldn't it be cheaper, not to mention less time consuming (i.e., having to figure out the name of the thing you need to buy to find your pen)? Why not just buy a new pen and forget about the one under the bed? You're at the store anyway.
    And what if he wants to find his old pen? What would you advise him?

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    And what if he wants to find his old pen? What would you advise him?
    I already have, I believe.

  6. #16
    kohyoongliat is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,277
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    And what if he wants to find his old pen? What would you advise him?
    Yes, what if the pen is very costly? I cannot wait to get it out from under the bed.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is sentence correct?

    Is this really the topic of your thread?

  8. #18
    Harry Smith's Avatar
    Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    Is this really the topic of your thread?
    I think he just doesn't know how to explain the situation with his pen. It seems to me that we can't help him.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I think he just doesn't know how to explain the situation with his pen. It seems to me that we can't help him.
    Koyoongliat, is that true?

  10. #20
    kohyoongliat is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,277
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Is sentence correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    Is this really the topic of your thread?
    Oh dear! I've deviated from the topic. My apologies.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. help correct my sentence
    By esophea in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 27-Mar-2010, 17:23
  2. Is this sentence correct?
    By snade17 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31-Mar-2009, 00:12
  3. correct sentence
    By shaukat mahmood in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Oct-2006, 17:30
  4. Is the sentence correct?
    By Hanka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Oct-2006, 21:51
  5. grammar
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-Dec-2003, 19:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •