• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Letter of demand to a commercial tenant

My parents are having problems with a tenant who doesn't pay his rent. He sells pocket bikes and scooters, and it doesn't seem like his business is going well. He made promises to pay the rent the next day many times and never did. The following is my version of letter of demand; I need the help of language experts in this forum to revise it. Other than just simple revisions, if you have suggestions or comments, feel free to make one, even harsh ones.

Dear tenant,

It is with the greatest regret that we notify your rent is now three months overdue. This is the second letter of demand and will be the final one. The Landlord – Tenant agreement is a binding contract and you have failed to meet your end of the obligation, which is to pay the rent on time. Please pay the outstanding amount of [xxxx dollars] immediately, for we now have the legality to lock up your unit upon sending this letter. We’d also like to let you know that you currently have no rights to your inventory inside the unit – it is legally ours until you pay the outstanding amount of [xxxx dollars]. Should you decide to take your inventory out and take off without our knowledge, it will be considered as criminal offense, in which case you will be pursued and charged.

Regards,

HKB
    Thank you very much.

- HKB
    Last edited by HaraKiriBlade; 04-Jun-2007 at 12:10.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Letter of demand to a commercial tenant

Dear tenant, You must have a name - use it.

It is with the greatest regret that we notify [delete this and go straight to the point] Your rent is now three months overdue, despite several reminders and promises to pay on your part. This is our second letter of demand and will be the final one. The LandlordTenant agreement is a binding contract and you have failed to keep your end of the obligation, which is to pay the rent on time.

Please pay the outstanding amount of [xxxx dollars] immediately. for we now have the legality to lock up your unit upon sending this letter. Wed also like to let you know that you currently have no rights to your inventory inside the unit it is legally ours until you pay the outstanding amount of [xxxx dollars]. Should you decide to take your inventory out and take off without our knowledge, it will be considered as criminal offense, in which case you will be pursued and charged.

Regards,

You have a problem here - if you tell him you are proposing to lock the unit, he will certainly remove his stock. Threats to take him to court will carry no weight. If you have a clear legal right to lock him out, then do so at once (change the locks if possible). Put in your letter:

"Unless this sum is in our hands within 24 hours, we shall take legal action."

In the meantime, consult your lawyers about your actions.

HaraKiriBlade is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Letter of demand to a commercial tenant

You have an extremely valid point and had I not known, I would've set my rear end on fire. I guess being specific is not always an redeeming quality. I hate how cunning and allusive I have to become to survive in this world, but that's beside the point. Thank you very much Anglika. My parents have already consulted their lawyer about this so this letter should raise no legal problems.

- HKB
    Last edited by HaraKiriBlade; 03-Jun-2007 at 22:09.