Post Thanks / Like

Help with Motivation letter

Hi
    I’m really glad that I found this kind of forums on the internet, and I hope I can find help from you,

I want to enroll in a university, but they ask to write a motivation letter.

Q: what is "use separate sheet"?

Here is the task:
    Please describe in at least 350 words, your reasons for wishing to enroll in this program; what you expect from the program; what you have been doing since you graduated from secondary school; etc.
    Please use a separate sheet.

Here what I did so far:

2/06/2007
    Mike Variennte
    Rooltslaar straat 95/3
    3000 Leuven
    Belgium

Dear Sir,

This letter is to express my interest in enrolling in the “first year bachelor program in engineering”.

For me engineering studies have been always one of my important targets and first dream.
    Engineering for me is to be creative, problem solver (strong engineering candidate should enjoy and excel at problem solving), decision taker and team worker (Engineers are often involved with managing large complex projects so the person likely to make a good engineer will probably like working with others as part of a team.), fortunately I can see these parameters on myself.

How I see Engineering?
    Engineering permeates all aspects of our day to day lives - from when we get up and have a shower (an engineer has designed the shower unit which contains a pump and heat exchanger, and an engineer will have been responsible for designing the process to produce large amounts of the shower gels we use); to eating my breakfast (engineers will have designed a process to produce your flakes); to driving or cycling or taking the bus or train to school or work (again engineers will have designed your mode of transport) and the transport system it will run on (roads, bridges, railways) and the system it will run to (the automation and control of the railway lines, traffic lights and the traffic control systems). They will also have designed your mobile phone, your computer, television, laptop, and a range of other everyday items.

My expectations from this program are:
    1.Having the engineering knowledge and skills.
    2.Being Designer, Builder or Researcher in a technical field.

Since my graduation of secondary school, I have been doing the following:

Last 3 years I have been studding Information technology at Groep-t High school, currently I’m in my last year and hopefully I will be graduated this month.
    I had very good points in my first and second year witch encourage me to start in the engineering school.

Since my graduation of secondary school, I have been working full and part time in Marketing, Hardware support and currently I’m working part time for “****” As “****”.

If I can provide you with any further information on my background and qualifications, please let me know. I look forward to hearing from you.
    I can be reached at XXX-XXX-XXXX or via email at EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead
    Sincerely,

Signature

Mike Varintee

bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with Motivation letter

Hi

I haven't written all of my corrections in red, but check out this emended version of your letter.

Dear Sir,

This letter is to express my interest in enrolling in the first-year Engineer Bachelor Program. Becoming an engineer has always been one of my main goals in life and my very first dream. To me, engineering is about being creative, solving problems , making decisions and last but not least, it is about teamwork. I am aware that engineers are often faced with the managing of large, complex projects so that becoming a good engineer requires good social and teamworking skills. I can gladly say that I have what it takes to live up to these standards.

How I see engineering? I believe engineering permeates every aspect of our daily life. Take, for instance, when I get up and take a shower (the shower unit which contains a pump and heat exchanger, and itself the process of producing large amounts of the shower gel we use, are engineering projects) or when I have my breakfast (cornflakes- making involves an engineering process), to driving or cycling or taking the bus or train to school or work (again, means of transport are engineering projects) as well as the infrastructure (roads, bridges, railways) along with the automation and control of the railway lines, traffic lights and the traffic control systems. Engineers have also designed the mobile phone, the computer, television, laptop, and a range of other everyday indispensible items.

During the past three years I have been studying Information Technology at Groep-t Highschool. I’m now completing my last year and hopefully I will have graduated this very month. I scored very good grades in my first and second year, the reason why I am encouraged and optimistic about enrolling in the engineering program. Furthermore, I have been working full- and part- time in Marketing, Hardware support and currently I’m working part- time for “****” As “****”.

My expectations with this program include:

1.Acquiring engineering knowledge and skills.
    2.Becoming a designer, builder or a researcher in a technical field.

Should you need further information about my background and qualifications, do let me know.

I can be reached at XXX-XXX-XXXX or via email at EMAIL REMOVED - Send PM to This User Instead

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Signature

Mike Varintee
    Last edited by bianca; 04-Jun-2007 at 09:06.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you a lot bianca
    just 2 small Q's

1- what is "use separate sheet"?
    2- Do i have to add extra information, or do you think this is enough?

thx a lot for your help

Mike

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike009 View Post
    Thank you a lot bianca
    just 2 small Q's

1- what is "use separate sheet"?
    Use separate sheet:
    Don't write on this one. Use something else.
    2- Do i have to add extra information, or do you think this is enough?
    It looks to me like enough.

~R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    Use separate sheet:
    It looks to me like enough.

~R
    Thank but still i don't understand what you mean by

bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Use a separate (another) sheet of paper instead of ...I don't know what, to write smth. Do you need to write this Cv on a separate sheet of paper, or what exactly is it that you have to do?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A separate sheet would be one that you are using in addition to the other one.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey,
    i have added a small part and changed other part, can you please correct this part :

During the past three years I have been studying Information Technology at Groep-t "The English group". I have been graduated this year with very good grades. I scored very good grades in my first and second year as well , the reason why I am encouraged and optimistic about enrolling in the engineering program.
    Furthermore, I have been working full- and part- time in Marketing, Hardware support,the last 3 years and currently I’m working part- time for “****” As “****”.

thx in advance

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

During the past three years I have been studying Information Technology at Groep-t "The English group". I have been graduated this year with very good grades. I scored very good grades in my first and second year as well , the reason why I am encouraged and optimistic about enrolling in the engineering program.
    Furthermore, I have been working full- and part- time in Marketing, Hardware support,the last 3 years and currently I’m working part- time for “****” As “****”.

During the past three years I have been studying Information Technology at Groep-t "The English group". I graudated this year with very good grades. I got good grades all three years I was in the program, and that is why I am optimistic about doing well in the engineering progarm. Furthermore, I have been working full- and part- time in Marketing, Hardware support,the last 3 years and currently I’m working part- time for “****” As “****”.
    When you say you graduated with good grades that means you got good grades the whole time you were in the progarm, not just the last year. Don't space before commas but only afterwards.

~R