asad hussain is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Please help me out. I am quite confused.

Hi,
    Could someone please do me a favor? I have an interview tomorrow, but I don’t know what kind of job it is for. The company is actually a computer learning center. They teach short courses. They can set me in any position according to my competence level. I am doing B.Sc. (Honors) in chemistry. I expect to complete it next year. I have done quite many computer courses and have some experience in helping people acquire computer skills. Now, I’ve got prepare a resume, but I don’t know my objective is supposed to be, since I don’t know what type of job the interview is for. I have written an objective statement. Could you please have a look at it and tell me if there are any grammar mistakes or inconsistencies, and if the objective fits the situation?

Thanks in anticipation.

Resume

Objective
    To obtain a secretarial/receptionist/teaching assistant position where I can use my computer and clerical skills to helping the center exceed its target.

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Please help me out. I am quite confused.

Quote Originally Posted by asad hussain View Post
    Hi,
    Could someone please do me a favor? I have an interview tomorrow, but I donít know what kind of job it is for. The company is actually a computer learning center. They teach short courses. They can set me in any position according to my competence level. I am doing B.Sc. (Honors) in chemistry. I expect to complete it next year. I have done quite many computer courses and have some experience in helping people acquire computer skills. Now, Iíve got prepare a resume, but I donít know my objective is supposed to be, since I donít know what type of job the interview is for. I have written an objective statement. Could you please have a look at it and tell me if there are any grammar mistakes or inconsistencies, and if the objective fits the situation?

Thanks in anticipation.

Resume

Objective
    To obtain a secretarial/receptionist/teaching assistant position where I can use my computer and clerical skills to helping the center exceed its target.
    My suggestion would be to state simply "to obtain a position...", and not to qualify it. During the interview you can assess what they are looking for.

Also : "...skills and to contribute to the Center's success."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    My suggestion would be to state simply "to obtain a position...", and not to qualify it. During the interview you can assess what they are looking for.

Also : "...skills and to contribute to the Center's success."
    Dear Anglika,

I am so thankful to you for giving me such a great and commendable deal of help. It's so so so so nice of you. Thanks a lot!

You mean "To obtain a position where I can use my computer and clerical skills and to contribute to the Center's success."?

But what's the "and" doing here? I mean I will use my skills in order to contribute to the Center's success. I have only one purpose here, and that's to contribute the Center's success. I think If had two purposes like "use my computer and clerical skills to .... and to contribute to....", ther I would use "and" here. What do you think?

My second confusion: You have capitalized "c" in "center". Is that necessary?

By the what about:

To obtain a position where I can apply my computer knowledge and interpersonal skills to contribute to the Center's success.

Post Thanks / Like

This is my personal view!

You are indeed hoping to use your skills to help the center, but you are also wanting to make use of your acquired skills. Therefore I think you are better to say you {a} want to apply your skills and {b} would like to contribute to the organization's success. However, either way is fine, and it must be your decision in the end.

Center is capitalized as it is presumably a part of the title of the company/organization. If it isn't, then use the name of the company in its place.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a million, Anglika. It's really so nice of for constantly taking out time for me. I am so grateful to you.

Well, I have tried to furnish the wording a bit more. What about "To obtain a challenging position where (my) outstanding computer know-how and excellent interpersonal skills will contribute to the Center's success."?

(I think I don't really need the word 'my', but can add it if I want. Even without the word 'my', it would be completely clear to any American employer that I am saying that I have great computer and interpersonal skills to offer them. What do you think?)

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good to me - I would keep "my" in.
    Last edited by Anglika; 06-Jun-2007 at 20:44. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Looks good to me - I would keep "my" in.
    Dear Anglika,

So many thanks. You've always been very very very thoughtful to me. And I respect you from the bottom of my heart.