maggie74 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default in time / on time

What is the difference between in time and on time?

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: in time / on time

I made it to the movie just in time, before it started at 7.00pm.
    I got to the appointment on time, in fact, I was a little early.
    Hope this helps,
    Joany

Post Thanks / Like

Default in time / on time

We use “on time” when we’re dealing with a schedule. “On time” means “at the scheduled time,” “without any delay,” “according to schedule,” or “punctually.”

He never gets to class on time. (The class meets according to a schedule. It begins at
    8:00 and ends at 9:40. He doesn’t ever arrive at the scheduled beginning time of 8:00.)

I am always on time. (I am always punctual.) Everyone expects me to be here at a certain time (a scheduled time) and I am.

I take this flight every week, and it always leaves on time. (Planes must follow a strict schedule.)

“In time” means “early enough to,” “with enough time to,” or “before the last moment.” You don’t need to be referring to a schedule when you use “in time.”
    Example 1: I didn’t get your message in time to make the corrections. I had already sent the document to Payroll Services. (I didn’t get your message early enough to make the corrections.)
    Example 2: He was at the conference, too, and I wanted to speak to him, but apparently he was there earlier than I was. He left at 3:00. I got there at 3:15. I didn’t get there in time to speak to him. (There was no schedule, no agreed-upon time for us to meet or speak. I just didn’t get there early enough to speak to him.)
    Example 3: I didn’t get to the wedding on time. It started at 3:00, and I got there at 3:10, so I didn’t see the couple walk down the aisle. However, I did get there in time to see them exchange vows and say, “I do.”
    Example 4: (I copied this example from this or another site.) Imagine there is an automobile accident. The driver is still inside the car, only slightly injured, but unconscious. You were nearby when the accident happened and you pull the unconscious person out of the car. A few minutes later, the car explodes and burns. You managed to pull the injured person out of the car in time to save him. In other words, if you had waited for additional help, it would have been too late to save the person because the car would have exploded and burned with the person still inside. (You were not scheduled to pull the person out of the car at 12:17 p.m.)

vil is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: in time / on time

Hi vivemafille,

Thank you for your immpressionable post.

Regards.

V.