Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Helped Wanted
    Guest
    #1

    Need some advice on the use of preposition,thx teachers! ^o^

    1.
    I paid the bill in cash.
    Can I say " I paid the bill with cash"?

    2.
    Father paid the bill by cheque.
    Can I say " Father paid the bill in cheque"?

    3. What is the difference between " paid in" and "paid by"?

    4.Did you go to church on New Year's Eve? ( correct, for sure)
    Can I say, ... go to church during New Year's Eve?

    5. The bag is made of plastic.
    Wine is made from grapes.
    When do I use " made of" and "made from"?

    Please help, teachers! Thanks soooooooo much ^o^

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2
    Pay in cash
    Pay with\by credit card, cheque

    On New Year's Eve

    Made of = the material is unchanged
    Made from = the material is transformed


  2. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: Need some advice on the use of preposition,thx teachers!

    Quote Originally Posted by Helped Wanted
    1.
    I paid the bill in cash.
    Can I say " I paid the bill with cash"?

    2.
    Father paid the bill by cheque.
    Can I say " Father paid the bill in cheque"?

    3. What is the difference between " paid in" and "paid by"?

    4.Did you go to church on New Year's Eve? ( correct, for sure)
    Can I say, ... go to church during New Year's Eve?

    5. The bag is made of plastic.
    Wine is made from grapes.
    When do I use " made of" and "made from"?

    Please help, teachers! Thanks soooooooo much ^o^
    I agree with all of TDOL's answers. In American English we pay "with" cash as well as "in" cash, though "in" is more common. :wink:

  3. Helped Wanted
    Guest
    #4
    Thank you sooooooo much, teacher Tdol and teacher MikeNewYork! ^o^

    Sorry for asking more, why do we use paid in cash while paid with/by cheque? Thanks for replying, teachers! ^o^

  4. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Helped Wanted
    Thank you sooooooo much, teacher Tdol and teacher MikeNewYork! ^o^

    Sorry for asking more, why do we use paid in cash while paid with/by cheque? Thanks for replying, teachers! ^o^
    I don't know. It's just part of the idiom of English. It probably arose because checks and credit cards are indirect means of payment. :wink:

  5. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

  6. Helped Wanted
    Guest
    #7
    Thank you sooooooo much for the advice again, teacher MikeNewYork and teacher Ronbee! ^o^

  7. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8
    You're quite welcome, Help Wanted. :D

    Hey, you've got 200 posts!



    :D




  8. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Helped Wanted
    Thank you sooooooo much for the advice again, teacher MikeNewYork and teacher Ronbee! ^o^
    You're welcome, once again. It's great to have you here. :wink:

Similar Threads

  1. Need advice on Preposition , thz, teachers!
    By Help Wanted in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-Oct-2004, 10:57
  2. Need advice on 2nd conditional, thanks teachers ^o^
    By Helped Wanted in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-Jun-2004, 16:14
  3. Would like some advice on Modal Verbs e.g.shall,thx teachers
    By Helped Wanted in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-May-2004, 16:10
  4. Hello Teachers! Need some advice on passive voice, thanks!
    By Helped Wanted in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16-May-2004, 08:56
  5. Need advice on Active and Passive Voice, thanks teachers!
    By Helped Wanted in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 22-Mar-2004, 17:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •