• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Default definition of the internet

The followoing sentences are the way I defined the Internet. If you see any problems, can i have your comments?

1.The Internet connets networks that are used by many people who serach information.

2.The Internet is very useful system that has a lot of information in a lot of fields.

3.The Internet is a network that connets many computers all around the world. It was made to enhance peoples' conveninece in searing informaiton.

P.S. Do I have to add " the" infront of " internet" ? Also, do the first word alwasy should be capitalized? I mean can't I say internet instead of Internet?

Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: definition of the internet

Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post
    The followoing sentences are the way I defined the Internet. If you see any problems, can i have your comments?

1.The Internet connets networks that are used by many people who serach information.

2.The Internet is very useful system that has a lot of information in a lot of fields.

3.The Internet is a network that connets many computers all around the world. It was made to enhance peoples' conveninece in searing informaiton.

P.S. Do I have to add " the" infront of " internet" ? Also, do the first word alwasy should be capitalized? I mean can't I say internet instead of Internet?
    The Internet is the specific proper noun for the World Wide Web, so yes, it should have both the and a capital letter. [in front - it's not a single word]

People may be searching information [examining it carefully] , but in this context "searching for" [looking for] is probably what you were really meaning.

It could also be argued that you should make sure that the fact it is an electronic network is made clear.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: definition of the internet

Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post

Anglika has dealt with the problems with the English. I'll address a few points of fact:

1 People do many things with the Internet apart from searching for information - e-mail, file transfer ...

2 The Internet doesn't have 'fields'. A net browser such as Internet Explorer presents information in fields.

3 If you look back far enough in the development of the Internet, it was 'made to enhance' US military security during the Cold War. Computer networks at the time had a single point of vulnerability (in IBM's terms, 'the network host'). The object of the ARPAnet (ARPANET - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - the forerunner of the Internet) was to have a network that could survive an attack on any single computer or subnet.

You're probably referring to the World-Wide Web World Wide Web - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Many people think the Internet is the same as the WWW, although the WWW is just one of many systems that use the Internet. The WWW was 'made to enhance' the sharing of information in a research community - CERN.

b