Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: agree with ?

  1. #1
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default agree with ?

    Hi

    I just couldn`t agree with him on the plan.
    I just couldn`t agree to / on the plan.

    I think that the first sentence is correct but what about the second one? As far as I know the verb "agree" goes with the preposition "with" if a person is involved :
    e.g. I agree with John.
    but if I want to say that I agree to his plan, shall I use the preposition "to" or "on" ?.
    I agree to/on his plan. Which one is correct?


    Thank you very much.

  2. #2
    Harry Smith's Avatar
    Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: agree with ?

    Quote Originally Posted by teia_petrescu View Post
    Hi

    I just couldn`t agree with him on the plan.
    I just couldn`t agree to / on the plan.

    I think that the first sentence is correct but what about the second one? As far as I know the verb "agree" goes with the preposition "with" if a person is involved :
    e.g. I agree with John.
    but if I want to say that I agree to his plan, shall I use the preposition "to" or "on" ?.
    I agree to/on his plan. Which one is correct?


    Thank you very much.
    Hi, Teia!
    To agree with smb.
    To agree to smth.
    Hope, you are fine! Cheers!

  3. #3
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: agree with ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Hi, Teia!
    To agree with smb.
    To agree to smth.
    Hope, you are fine! Cheers!
    Hi Harry

    Thank you very much. I`m fine , thanks. I am looking forward to my summer holiday and ,then, I`ll have much more spare time to talk with you and other friends on this site.

    All the best

  4. #4
    Harry Smith's Avatar
    Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: agree with ?

    Quote Originally Posted by teia_petrescu View Post
    Hi Harry

    Thank you very much. I`m fine , thanks. I am looking forward to my summer holiday and ,then, I`ll have much more spare time to talk with you and other friends on this site.

    All the best
    Have an enjoyable holidays! Cheers! Keep in touch,

  5. #5
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: agree with ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Have an enjoyable holidays! Cheers! Keep in touch,

    Hi Harry

    Thank you very much.

    School ends on the 15th of June and we, teachers, have a long holiday. I can hardly wait it because I`ll have more time to keep in touch with my friends. You are one of my best pen friends, of course.

    Have a nice day!

  6. #6
    Harry Smith's Avatar
    Harry Smith is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,911
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: agree with ?

    Quote Originally Posted by teia_petrescu View Post
    Hi Harry

    Thank you very much.

    School ends on the 15th of June and we, teachers, have a long holiday. I can hardly wait it because I`ll have more time to keep in touch with my friends. You are one of my best pen friends, of course.

    Have a nice day!
    Thanks for your kind words. I too finish my work at school on the fifteenth of June. On that day our school-leavers have an exam in English. As you know I'm their teacher of English. I hope to enjoy the exam.

  7. #7
    Teia is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Romania
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: agree with ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Thanks for your kind words. I too finish my work at school on the fifteenth of June. On that day our school-leavers have an exam in English. As you know I'm their teacher of English. I hope to enjoy the exam.
    Hi Harry

    Enjoy your holiday ! What kind of exam is that you are talking about? And what are "school-leavers"?

    Regards

  8. #8
    bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,044
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: agree with ?

    Quote Originally Posted by teia_petrescu View Post
    Hi

    I just couldn`t agree with him on the plan.
    I just couldn`t agree to / on the plan.

    I think that the first sentence is correct but what about the second one? As far as I know the verb "agree" goes with the preposition "with" if a person is involved :
    e.g. I agree with John.
    but if I want to say that I agree to his plan, shall I use the preposition "to" or "on" ?.
    I agree to/on his plan. Which one is correct?


    Thank you very much.
    I'd say "I just couldn't agree with his plan."

    but:

    I agree on / to a plan - both are correct.
    Last edited by bianca; 17-Jun-2007 at 09:42.

Similar Threads

  1. I couldn't agree with you more
    By dcomest in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Oct-2006, 20:10
  2. Agree on THAT-clause
    By vien_phan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Aug-2005, 01:57
  3. agree on and agree to
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 19-Jul-2004, 02:41
  4. agree on and agree to
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 30-Apr-2004, 06:13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk