Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: tense query


    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    tense query

    I've got a query regarding tenses and use of had. The situation is like this..I've got to inform people regarding match schedule. Firstly two matches will be played and on winning those two matches semi-final match will be played. To inform this can i write
    " If we had won the above two matches, we may play the semi with x team".
    If it is wrong usage can you plz explain me how and why?

  1. Harry Smith's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • Armenian
      • Home Country:
      • Armenia
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 2,926
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: tense query

    Quote Originally Posted by mohana priya View Post
    I've got a query regarding tenses and use of had. The situation is like this..I've got to inform people regarding match schedule. Firstly two matches will be played and on winning those two matches semi-final match will be played. To inform this can i write
    " If we had won the above two matches, we may play the semi with x team".
    If it is wrong usage can you plz explain me how and why?
    You should say:If we have won(or win) the above mentioned two matches we will play the semi-final match with an X team.

  2. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: tense query

    Welcome, mohana priya.

    I believe a type 1 conditional would work as well.

    Type 1: It is possible and also very likely that the condition will be fulfilled:

    Form: if + Simple Present, will-Future

    Example: If we win the above two matches, we will play in the semi-final match with team X.

    _______________________
    Correction
    I've got a query regarding tenses and the use of had. The situation is like this. I've got to inform people about a match schedule. First, two matches will be played, and on winning those two matches, a semi-final match will be played. To inform this can I write, "If we had won the above two matches, we may play the semi-final match with x team"?

    If it is the wrong usage, can you please explain to me how and why?


    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: tense query

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    You should say:If we have won(or win) the above mentioned two matches we will play the semi-final match with an X team.
    is my usage of 'had' wrong. Even that makes sense right..?


    • Join Date: Jun 2007
    • Posts: 3
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: tense query

    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea View Post
    Welcome, mohana priya.

    I believe a type 1 conditional would work as well.

    Type 1: It is possible and also very likely that the condition will be fulfilled:

    Form: if + Simple Present, will-Future

    Example: If we win the above two matches, we will play in the semi-final match with team X.

    _______________________
    Correction
    I've got a query regarding tenses and the use of had. The situation is like this. I've got to inform people about a match schedule. First, two matches will be played, and on winning those two matches, a semi-final match will be played. To inform this can I write, "If we had won the above two matches, we may play the semi-final match with x team"?

    If it is the wrong usage, can you please explain to me how and why?
    is my usage of 'had' wrong.? Even that makes sense right..?

  3. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: tense query

    Mohana Priya, this part of the sentence, If we had won means that you didn't win:

    Ex: If we had won, we could have played in the semi-finals; but we didn't win, and so we can't play in the semi-finals.

    Does that help?

Similar Threads

  1. present perfect tense & present perfect continuous tense
    By *zaizai~love* in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 30-Oct-2008, 23:06
  2. present perfect tense
    By svartnik in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-Dec-2006, 13:16
  3. How would you define the future time?
    By shun in forum Linguistics
    Replies: 143
    Last Post: 13-Oct-2006, 02:20
  4. Do we have future tense?
    By shun in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-Oct-2003, 18:06

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •