• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

baby and grandfather

Dear teachers,

I have come to the expressions such as 'baby hill', 'baby carrot' and 'grandfather clock'. I guess 'baby' means 'small' and 'grandfather' means 'old' or 'big'.

I have four questions to ask: 1. What's the difference between 'small' and 'baby', 'grandfather' and 'big'? 2. Is there cutural background behind the use of 'baby' and 'grandfather'? 3. What is the size of 'baby', between
    minute and small or between small and big? 4. I have a feeling if we use 'baby' and 'grandfather' we put emotion/affection into them. Am I right?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: baby and grandfather

Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,

I have come to the expressions such as 'baby hill', 'baby carrot' and 'grandfather clock'. I guess 'baby' means 'small' and 'grandfather' means 'old' or 'big'.

I have four questions to ask: 1. What's the difference between 'small' and 'baby', 'grandfather' and 'big'? 2. Is there cutural background behind the use of 'baby' and 'grandfather'? 3. What is the size of 'baby', between
    minute and small or between small and big? 4. I have a feeling if we use 'baby' and 'grandfather' we put emotion/affection into them. Am I right?

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    A grandfather clock is a particular kind of clock. It is big, but that is not what "grandfather" means there. There are also new grandfather clocks.
    We don't usually use "grandfather" for big or old. It can be used to imply experience. however. One can say "John is sort of the grandfather of the group." That would mean he has been with the group for a long time and probably has much information to share.

We do sometimes use "baby" a substitute for small or little. Baby steps are small steps. Baby carrots are small carrots. There is not added affection in most cases. "Baby" would just mean smaller than a normal variety.

jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

:D
    Thank you very much for your explanation.
    Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang
    A grandfather clock is a particular kind of clock. It is big, but that is not what "grandfather" means there. There are also new grandfather clocks.
    We don't usually use "grandfather" for big or old. It can be used to imply experience. however. One can say "John is sort of the grandfather of the group." That would mean he has been with the group for a long time and probably has much information to share.

We do sometimes use "baby" a substitute for small or little. Baby steps are small steps. Baby carrots are small carrots. There is not added affection in most cases. "Baby" would just mean smaller than a normal variety.

MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

:D
    Thank you very much for your explanation.
    Jiang

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Dear teachers,

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

You're very welcome. :wink: