• Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Pacing and Timing

When talking on a movie, reviews often talk about its timing and pacing, but sometimes I don't quite understand what's timing and pacing; sometimes it seems to mean the same but sometimes not.

Please, can you tell me the difference?

Thanks a lot

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pacing and Timing

Very apropos as I have just come from a community theater production of Carousel that could have used improvements in both.

In my amateur experience, pacing, or pace, would be the overall speed of the show. I enjoyed the musical numbers, but the dialogue scenes dragged; the director could have improved the pacing. Timing refers to the delivery of individual lines. The actor who played Enoch Snow had great comic timing; his delivery of the famous punch line, "Boston cream pie!" brought down the house. Timing is especially important in comedy. Bob Hope and Jack Benny are two comedians whose timing was legendary.

Bushwhacker is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Pacing and Timing

Quote Originally Posted by Delmobile View Post
    Very apropos as I have just come from a community theater production of Carousel that could have used improvements in both.

In my amateur experience, pacing, or pace, would be the overall speed of the show. I enjoyed the musical numbers, but the dialogue scenes dragged; the director could have improved the pacing. Timing refers to the delivery of individual lines. The actor who played Enoch Snow had great comic timing; his delivery of the famous punch line, "Boston cream pie!" brought down the house. Timing is especially important in comedy. Bob Hope and Jack Benny are two comedians whose timing was legendary.
    Thank You for your helpful answer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pacing and Timing

My pleasure.