Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: under no circumstances

The only way I can think to use "did" with "under no circumstances" is something like,

"Under no circumstances did John answer the door when his mother left him alone. She had warned him many times that the boogeyman would get him if he did."

"Realize how easy it was" is difficult to work into a situation involving NO circumstances.

My fifteen-year-old daughter hates tests like this. She says it's like being asked to read minds.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mayclaire View Post
    By the way, if I want to change " Under no circumstances did John realize how easy it was." into a meaningful sentence, what will it be?
    The verb realize is problematic. Under no circumstances ... realize means the person isn't permitted to grasp, understand, or conclude something. You see, what another person isn't allowed to realize is pretty much impossible to control; which is why the sentence you want is a tad difficult to write. However, here's what I can offer you:

Max: Under no circumstances will you allow John to realize (i.e., conclude) how easy it was for us to give him up when he was a child.

Pat: How do we do that? It's not like I can control his thoughts!

Does that help?

Post Thanks / Like

How about the sentence:
    Under no circumstances did he realize what his wife was thinking about.
    Is it correct?
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mayclaire View Post
    Under no circumstances did he realize what his wife was thinking about.
    Hmm. Again, the verb realize is a problem. This time it's ambiguous. If realize means know, then the meaning you want to express is recoverable; if, on the other hand, realize means grasp, then the sentence remains awkward. Even this one, below, my attempt at repairing the above semantics, is somewhat questionable,

Ex: Under no cicumstances would he have been able to realize what his wife was thinking.

My intended meaning, there's no way that he would have been able to ...

Does that help?

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, Casiopea! I didn't take a look at page 2, so I asked a similar question again. Thanks for your detailed explanation! You've helped me a lot!
    It's very kind of all of you to answer my questions. In order to enter a college, the students usually have to be tortured with odd questions! However, with your explicit explanation, I got more than English. It is your acts of kindness that warm my heart. What I have got is not only knowledge but also warmth. Your help has made a difference! Thanks!
    Last edited by mayclaire; 13-Jun-2007 at 16:10. Reason: to show my appreciation

Post Thanks / Like

You're most welcome, and I am glad we could help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2