Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Which one is???

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Which one is???

    Kindly explain to me the difference between the following:

    1. You had A DINNER with your family
    2. you had DINNER with your family


    Is there any mistakes on the sentences above??

  2. #2
    engee30's Avatar
    engee30 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Wink Re: Which one is???

    Quote Originally Posted by english001 View Post
    Kindly explain to me the difference between the following:

    1. You had A DINNER with your family
    2. you had DINNER with your family


    Is there any mistakes on the sentences above??
    Normally, you would say, I had dinner with my family; but if the dinner was specific, you could as well say, I had a lovely dinner with my family.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Re: Which one is???

    Thanx for the response!!

    Let's go back to my Question, is any mistakes or grammatical errors therein??

    and one more thing, does it mean that if we want to be more specific we just have to put an ADJECTIVE as in, "I had a lovely dinner with my family" does it makes sense??

    tnx!!

  4. #4
    engee30's Avatar
    engee30 is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,819
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool Re: Which one is???

    Quote Originally Posted by english001 View Post
    Thanx for the response!!

    Let's go back to my Question, is any mistakes or grammatical errors therein??
    Well, I wouldn't say that using an indefinite article with dinner not being preceded by an adjective, is a mistake, but, as I wrote in my previous post, dinner, like other meals, prefers the so-called zero article to be used with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by english001 View Post
    and one more thing, does it mean that if we want to be more specific we just have to put an ADJECTIVE as in, "I had a lovely dinner with my family" does it makes sense??
    tnx!!
    Yes, you use an adjective to be more specific about meals; though you can use the + (adjective) + meal, if you want to talk about a particular meal that you have had:

    I had (a formal) dinner with Charles Dickenson, my ex-manager. The (formal) dinner was really unconventional.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    58
    Post Thanks / Like

    Smile Re: Which one is???

    Well, all I can say is THANK YOU SO MUCH for your time in responding to my concern on grammar. More power and have a NICE day!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •