This is what I'd do Jacob:
1. "Some shoes are made of leather, others aren't," said John.
2. "Have you finished your work?" asked the teacher.
3. My neighbour’s dog, bites strangers.
4. "Hasn’t he come home yet?" asked Swee Lan.
5. "Ah, I've done it at last!" exclaimed the man.
6. "I can't understand why he's taking such a long time," said my mother.
7. "What a rude man he is!” said my aunt angrily.
8. "Some of the pictures were new, others weren’t."
9. "He couldn’t come because he had to finish his work,” said his sister.
In number 1 and number 8 you could use a semicolon instead of a comma as the clauses are closely linked and can work alone as sentences.