• Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool to get one's teeth pulled out

Please, meaning for "To get one'd teeth pulled out"

All the context I can offer is in this sentence:

"He's the man who gets his teeth pulled out" It's all it is said about the subject of a movie in the middle of the text I'm reading.

Thank You.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: to get one's teeth pulled out

Do you mean "Marathon Man" with Dustin Hoffman? There is a famous torture scene at the dentist. I have not seen the movie so I don't know exactly what it is the dentist does to him...

Bushwhacker is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: to get one's teeth pulled out

Quote Originally Posted by Delmobile View Post
    Do you mean "Marathon Man" with Dustin Hoffman? There is a famous torture scene at the dentist. I have not seen the movie so I don't know exactly what it is the dentist does to him...
    According to your answer I've raised a doubt suddenly. I had taken for granted it was an idiom, but ...What if the sentence says exactly what it is saying?
    Movie is a Koren one: Old Boy, hard stuff... seen it long time ago (couple of years) but, honestly, I don't remember if someone has his/her teeth pulled out.
    Any idea? Anyway, Thank You for your kind interest.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it is true that everything is not always an idiom. Sometimes, as they say, a cigar is just a cigar. :)

And yikes -- according to Wikipedia, it is only the simple truth! You mean to say you watched someone get a total odontectomy with a claw hammer and you don't remember it?

Oldboy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bushwhacker is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Catalan
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: to get one's teeth pulled out

Quote Originally Posted by Delmobile View Post
    Well, it is true that everything is not always an idiom. Sometimes, as they say, a cigar is just a cigar. :)

And yikes -- according to Wikipedia, it is only the simple truth! You mean to say you watched someone get a total odontectomy with a claw hammer and you don't remember it?

Oldboy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thank You for the site. Indeed, once read the plot, the sentence has no mystery. Beside, I wouldn't like to appear as an insensitive person at all. You are right a sequence like this one is not erasable from mind easily. When reading the plot from Wikipedia I have begun remembering the situation and of course it is not one of good taste, like the one in Marathon Man you previously cited. This circumstance opens quite a new subject: Why I remember the sequence in Marathon Man, and this other one from Old Boy was not between the things I was remembering from watching this movie? Well, beside the fact that when I watched Marathon Man I was younger and more impressionable, maybe nowadays cinema in general, worldwide, tends to violence too much, and sometimes in a very cheap way. Not good, I think, but it is a fact. So, in some way this horror repeated once and once more in a more explicit way than long ago perhaps doesn't reach our deeper memory the way it used to do. I don't know, but your surprise has made me feel embarrassed in some way, and I try to offer an answer. Maybe it is better to forget horror when it is just a fiction. Awful things don't tend to feed our soul. When I was reading the text in which Old Boy is named, the fact that there was not further information on it and not remembering the sequence itself had made me think the sentence was an idiom which thanks to your appreciations I realize it is not such thing at all.

Thank you very much and excuse me for this too long explanation. Not my intention to be boring.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, please don't be embarrassed. I was trying to speak lightheartedly. I should have added a few smiley-faces or something. And anyway I am not one who can criticize, as I often sit through an entire movie not realizing I have already seen it. What's more, even when my husband reminds me that I have seen it, I can't remember how it ends, whodunnit, etc.

I think the fact that you remember the scene in Marathon Man and not the one in Old Boy is very interesting. Cinematographers should take note.