What does "a slip of the finger" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navedplus

Member Type
Student or Learner
I want to know that What does "a slip of the finger" mean?

I hope you will answer me.

Thank you

Delmobile

Member Type
Other
A "slip" in this sense could be a mistake. A "slip of the tongue" means to misspeak.

One of my mother's favorite proverbs is "there's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip," which means that plans don't always go the way one intends.

However, "slip" in your sentence could also mean the act of slipping, a smooth and easy movement. "With a slip of the finger, she finished tying the elaborate bow in Flora's hair." Or even a secretive movement: "With a slip of the finger, he whisked the pearl necklace into his pocket."

Can you give more context?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
...or a slip on a keyboard - a finger misplaced [on the wrong key].

b

Navedplus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thaks for that...
but I still confused about that.. now I am posting this paragraphi, from where i was picked out.

Remember to never search for new channels / stations / satellites or television frequencies during a thunderstorm, or if you, for some reason, feel like you do need to this, make sure you do not allow the deleting of the TP programme. Many viewers spend time without any of the Thaicom-2 satellite's television stations, due to a slip of the finger! And, take my word for it: staying up half the night while waiting for a hole to appear in the clouds.

Delmobile

Member Type
Other
Yes, it's definitely a mistake in this case, or rather, a small movement that is a mistake.

Many viewers have pressed the wrong button on their controllers and deleted their TP programme.

Pressing the button only requires a small movement - it is a "slip."

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And incidentally, the bit about which we are asked to take the writer's word - 'staying up half the night while waiting for a hole to appear in the clouds' - doesn't mean anything*. I doubt very much whether the person who wrote those instructions was a native speaker of English.

b

PS
Well, it means something but it doesn't have a finite verb in it; it's hard to see what it adds to the paragraph.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.