• Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: ague

If it really was ague that you wanted to get some more example sentences of, then here you are:

...return of her lost child, and put him to bed, where in a day or two he recovered. But the after-effects of his experience remained with him far longer. He was subject to attacks of ague for many years, and memories of that October night came to embody for him his sense of exile from his family, and his anger at his mother's demanding and erratic love. Towards the end of September 1781...

...by the Countess of Chinchon, wife of the Spanish Ambassador in Peru. Jesuit missionaries had also taken it to Rome, from where an Apothecary named Robert Talbot had obtained medicine to cure Charles II of ague. Scarcity limited its purchase to the wealthy and quinine did not become available generally for the treatment of malaria for another two hundred years, when the Dutch successfully transplanted trees to the East Indies. John Watts proved not the...

...infirm --; cripple, for example. His diagnoses were sometimes even more precise, as in: "gangrene", "venereal, pregnant", "senile decay", "cirrhosis", and "ague" (malaria). Dr. Goldsmith was always reluctant to certify patients as insane. One, Martha Barratt, had been very noisy at times, and he had been told that she had been found with a knife in...

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: ague

Quote Originally Posted by dhennis View Post
    please! give me some example sentences using the word ague
    It's hard to give examples of this, as the word is not used in current English. Until the discovery of penicillin, Western medicine could do very little - which was a good thing, as what it did (such as extracting blood from someone with a bleeding wound) tended to do harm. There were many words used in the field of medicine that are no longer used, either because they were inaccurate (replaced by one of several more exact words) or because modern treatments catch the disorder and treat it before the 'old' symptom appears. "Ague", as your example demonstrates, is one of these. I think it was something to do with trembling - but whether because of Parkinson's or hypothermia or malaria, or whatever, I haven't the faintest idea. I imagine Wikipedia would help.

b