Thread: prose

alfred Guest

Default prose

iwant know what is a prose

Trisia is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: prose

Hello, Alfred.

Prose = the ordinary form of spoken or written language, without metrical structure, as distinguished from poetry or verse. (See more from Dictionary.com)

So prose is basically any text, except for poems. :)

bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Not quite. Is a formal text prose? Although prose isn't poetry, a prose work has poetic characteristics, such as vivid imagery and a concentrated expression.

Trisia is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, go on, confuse the newbie :)

I said basically, I will admit there are some exceptions, but I'm not sure what they are. I don't know what you mean by formal text. Laws and such? I think those are prose too.

But, I may be dead wrong about this :D

bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Formal texts are not prose.

One of the usual characteristics of a formal language (or text) is that it is processable by a computer - its meaning is literal. Connotative (figurative) language -as in prose - is ambiguous and impossible for the computer to debunk.

Jason72 is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alfred View Post
    iwant know what is a prose
    This is from wikipedia. It might help.

Prose is writing distinguished from poetry by its greater variety of rhythm and its closer resemblance to the patterns of everyday speech. The word prose comes from the Latin prosa, meaning straightforward, hence the term "prosaic," which is often seen as pejorative. Prose describes the type of writing that prose embodies, unadorned with obvious stylistic devices. Prose writing is usually adopted for the description of facts or the discussion of whatever one's thoughts are, incorporated in free flowing speech. Thus, it may be used for newspapers, capers, magazines, encyclopedias, broadcast media, films, letters, debtor's notes, famous quotes, murder mystery, history, philosophy, biography, linguistic geography and many other forms of media.
    Prose generally lacks the formal structure of meter or rhyme that is often found in poetry. Although some works of prose may happen to contain traces of metrical structure or versification, a conscious blend of the two forms of literature is known as a prose poem. Similarly, poetry with less of the common rules and limitations of verse is known as free verse. Poetry is considered to be artificially developed ("The best words in the best order"), whereas prose is thought to be less constructed and more reflective of ordinary speech. Pierre de Ronsard, the French poet, said that his training as a poet had proved to him that prose and poetry were mortal enemies. In Molière's play Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme, Monsieur Jourdain asks something to be written in neither verse nor prose. A philosophy master says to him, "Sir, there is no other way to express oneself than with prose or verse". Jourdain replies, "By my faith! For more than forty years I have been speaking prose without knowing anything about it, and I am much obliged to you for having taught me that."

Additional information: Prose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All the best!

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bianca View Post
    Is a formal text prose?
    Yes, in many cases. Anything that is not poetry is prose. Prose and poetry are not defined by whether a computer can process them; the computer can only process a very narrow range of text. The formality of a text does not define whether it is prose; Thomas Browne's Urne Burial and the bubbles coming out of cartoon characters mouths can both be prose. The former is extremely formal, the latter much less so. Browne may have written one of the most powerful pieces of prose ever - an evocative work that stands agaisnt most poetry - but it is still prose. Milton's very formal epic poetry is poetry, but Areopagitica is a piece of very formal prose by him.