Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    albertino is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Performance appraisal

    I am writing a performance appraisal report on my subordiante.
    Could you tell me what its formal writing pattern is? For example, what should I write in the first paragraph, the second and so on? And could you recommend any online templates or reference for this? Thank you for helping.

  2. #2
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17,357
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Performance appraisal

    Hi Albertino,
    I would ask your human resources department first. Most companies do have a format they want you to follow.

    If you really have no guidelines, one you may want to consider is what was called start-stop-continue at a place I worked.

    Begin with "continue" - what he does well and what you want him to continue doing.

    Go on to "stop" - if there is anything the person has been doing that shouldn't continue.

    Then "start" - areas for future development.

  3. #3
    albertino is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Performance appraisal

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Hi Albertino,
    I would ask your human resources department first. Most companies do have a format they want you to follow.

    If you really have no guidelines, one you may want to consider is what was called start-stop-continue at a place I worked.

    Begin with "continue" - what he does well and what you want him to continue doing.

    Go on to "stop" - if there is anything the person has been doing that shouldn't continue.

    Then "start" - areas for future development.
    Thank you so much. I think your suggestion may help a bit. But may i asked if there are any reference materials on the internet in this regard because I want to know more about it?
    Last edited by albertino; 18-Jun-2007 at 02:15.

  4. #4
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17,357
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Performance appraisal

    try googling how to write a good performance appraisal or sample performance appraisal.

  5. #5
    albertino is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Performance appraisal

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    try googling how to write a good performance appraisal or sample performance appraisal.
    Thank you so much.

  6. #6
    albertino is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Performance appraisal

    BTW. What tense should be used in a performance appraisal report, the present (as a comment on the performance of a subordinate) or the past (as a description of the past performance of a subordinate)?

  7. #7
    Barb_D's Avatar
    Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17,357
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Performance appraisal

    It will be mixed tenses.
    Over the past year, I've seen a lot of improvement in your initiative, and you now proactively reach out to customers when you anticipate a potential program. For example, when you learned about X, you contacted both ABC and DEF to alert them of the possibility of this happening at their site and suggested work-arounds until you'd be able to get the fix to them. This type of initiatve really benefits the customer and the department - great job!

    However, I've also observed a tendancy you have to try to do too much! You need to ask for help when your workload is too high to avoid creating expectations that we can't meet.

  8. #8
    albertino is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Performance appraisal

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    It will be mixed tenses.
    Over the past year, I've seen a lot of improvement in your initiative, and you now proactively reach out to customers when you anticipate a potential program. For example, when you learned about X, you contacted both ABC and DEF to alert them of the possibility of this happening at their site and suggested work-arounds until you'd be able to get the fix to them. This type of initiatve really benefits the customer and the department - great job!

    However, I've also observed a tendancy you have to try to do too much! You need to ask for help when your workload is too high to avoid creating expectations that we can't meet.
    Barb, thank you so much.

    May i ask you one more question?
    Let me say the day when I comment on my subordiante's appraisal performance (in the period of 31st March 2006 - 30 April 2007) is 1 June 2007. What I say about him/her is already a past action/event. Isn't it that the past tense should be used here? If not, is it that the report should generally be written in the present, and then use the present perfect* or the past whenever required as shown in your example?

    *Am I needed to use the present perfect tense when the action/event is still related to the present, and the past tense when the action/event is completed in the past but does not have any relation to the present? (I am given to understand that something is always in the present tense, as when I mention about my subordinate's personality or something/a fact which is always true, as the sun rises in the east or water boils at 100 degree celsius.)

    That's the problem I still can't get it through. Thanks again.

Similar Threads

  1. Websites for writing performance appraisal
    By Ju in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Jun-2009, 15:08
  2. Francis' performance or Francis's performance?
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Dec-2006, 23:37
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-Dec-2006, 06:50
  4. poor performance in the use of english
    By philipnelly"yahoo.com in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-Aug-2005, 05:47
  5. poor performance
    By ceaser in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-Aug-2005, 13:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •