Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: borrow

Lenka is offline Senior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

borrow

Excuse me, John, do you think I could ________ your phone?

a) use
    b) lend
    c) borrow
    d) take
    e) loan

The right answer to complete the sentence is a) use. I just wonder why c) isn't correct too. Why could the verb "borrow" not complete the gap in the sentence?

Jason72 is offline Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: borrow

I think ''use one's phone'' is a more common way to say you need a phone.

Post Thanks / Like

I've asked to "borrow" a cell phone many times. Maybe it's a regionalism? I suppose there is a very slight self-ironic reference in choosing that word instead of "use."

With a little imagination, there's nothing wrong with "take," either: "Honey, I'm going to the mall---can I take your phone? Mine isn't charged."

Lenka, you must be in a very high level course to be tested on subtleties like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Delmobile View Post
    I've asked to "borrow" a cell phone many times. Maybe it's a regionalism? I suppose there is a very slight self-ironic reference in choosing that word instead of "use."

With a little imagination, there's nothing wrong with "take," either: "Honey, I'm going to the mall---can I take your phone? Mine isn't charged."

Lenka, you must be in a very high level course to be tested on subtleties like this.
    Actually, I am not in a very high level course . I've just opened the book "Test Your Vocabulary" (the older version; the Upper Intermediate level/CAE) by Peter Watcyn-Jones - on the third page and tried to do some exercises... Nevertheless I'm an just Intermediate student of English and some of the exercises don't seem to be too easy to me; some are quite easy though... It depends... This one (I mean the exercise containing the "borrow" problem) was quite difficult for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, the only two that cannot fit are LOAN and LEND, but again, with a little imagination, you can find a place for both of them. But I do believe it demands the most common use of that ''expression''.
    And on the second thought, borrow is acceptable too, or, better to say, equally correct as ''use''.

Do you maybe have some texts prior to those exercises? Maybe it has to be fitted according to the texts...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason72 View Post
    Actually, the only two that cannot fit are LOAN and LEND, but again, with a little imagination, you can find a place for both of them. But I do believe it demands the most common use of that ''expression''.
    And on the second thought, borrow is acceptable too, or, better to say, equally correct as ''use''.

Do you maybe have some texts prior to those exercises? Maybe it has to be fitted according to the texts...
    Thanks for your answer, Jason .

However, it doesn't have any texts... It's just a book full of exercises... You can download the book here (I don't think that you are going to do it but if anyone wanted to, here's the link) Test Your Vocabulary 4 ... but you have to be registered to download it...

Post Thanks / Like

No need to thank me!
    I've registered and downloaded the exam, but I need a password for extracting. Do you have it?

Barb_D is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

If it's older, it may be "thinking" that phones are attached to the walls in our homes, and thus you don't "borrow" one by taking it with you.

Post Thanks / Like

Aahha... I've never thought of that! It has to be it!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that has got to be it.

They should keep up with the times. Will this outfit also be teaching Lenka to say, "You're the bee's knees" or "That's not quite cricket"?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast