• Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Question And the like

Hi all,

I remember in one of the reference books, I don't remember which one, I read "etc." should be avoided in academic writing, and instead "and the like" should be used, or at least preferred. However, CALD gives "and the like" is informal so for me it's a kind of inconsistency - I should prefer "and the like", which is informal. My questions, then, are: (1) Is "and the like" informal? (2) May it be freely used in academic writing? (3) Should I indeed prefer it to "etc."?

Thanks,
    Nyggus

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: And the like

Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    Hi all,

I remember in one of the reference books, I don't remember which one, I read "etc." should be avoided in academic writing, and instead "and the like" should be used, or at least preferred. However, CALD gives "and the like" is informal so for me it's a kind of inconsistency - I should prefer "and the like", which is informal. My questions, then, are: (1) Is "and the like" informal? (2) May it be freely used in academic writing? (3) Should I indeed prefer it to "etc."?

Thanks,
    Nyggus
    1 I wouldn't say it was very informal; it is quite formal, in fact, in comparison with 'and things like that' or 'and things of that kind'.

2 I have seen it in academic writing; you could increase the formality by saying 'and [nouns] of that nature'.

3 I don't see anything wrong with 'etc', but you need to spell it right (a common mistake is "ect" - and people who spell it like that often read "etc." as /ik'setrə/). There is also an argument that it's a perhaps insensitive parade of learning - as it's Latin for "and other things"; and that it's best not to use foreign abbreviations when writing for a non-English audience.

In the light of 3, you might choose not to use it in some contexts.

b

nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    1 I wouldn't say it was very informal; it is quite formal, in fact, in comparison with 'and things like that' or 'and things of that kind'.

2 I have seen it in academic writing; you could increase the formality by saying 'and [nouns] of that nature'.

3 I don't see anything wrong with 'etc', but you need to spell it right (a common mistake is "ect" - and people who spell it like that often read "etc." as /ik'setrə/). There is also an argument that it's a perhaps insensitive parade of learning - as it's Latin for "and other things"; and that it's best not to use foreign abbreviations when writing for a non-English audience.

In the light of 3, you might choose not to use it in some contexts.

b
    Thanks, BobK. And in the light of 3, what about "and other things" to use instead of "and the like"?

Nyggus

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

PS

Also, absolute purists (that is, fanatics) might insist on 'etcetera' for things, 'et ceteri' for men, and 'et ceterae' for women. This fad strikes me as ridiculous.

b

PPS
    Just saw your post: - 'and other things' sounds fine to me.
    Last edited by BobK; 18-Jun-2007 at 00:03. Reason: PS added

nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

PS

Also, absolute purists (that is, fanatics) might insist on 'etcetera' for things, 'et ceteri' for men, and 'et ceterae' for women. This fad strikes me as ridiculous.

b
    What would the absolute purists use for children?

Nyggus

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    What would the absolute purists use for children?

Nyggus
    '-i' for boys, '-ae' for girls. But I was thinking about this last night, and I think it may have been a 'Man of Straw' (a point of view I thought up only to knock it down).

A real view I've met is that etcetera means 'and other things', and if you want to say 'and other people' you have to use et al. So you shouldn't say 'Tom, Dick, Harry, etc'. I don't thing I would say that, but I wouldn't accuse anyone who did say it of making a mistake.

b

Post Thanks / Like

It's a fad? Whaddya mean fanatics?

Post Thanks / Like

Children would be "etceterats," of course.