• Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Indefinite/Definite Articles

I have made up my mind to read in between the line to understand how words are used, especially articles.

I want to know if A, B or C is the correct way to reframe the following sentence:

It structured the perceptions of those involved in the international business of development, particularly those in the government of the developed countries.

A. It structured the perceptions of people involved in the international business of development, particularly people in the government of the developed countries.

B. It structured the perceptions of some/many/most people involved in the international business of development, particularly some/many/most people in the government of the developed countries.

C. It structured the perceptions of the people involved in the international business of development, particularly the people in the government of the developed countries.

Thank you for your help so far.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Indefinite/Definite Articles

I think that 'those' implies all of them, so c) is the best choice for me, though a) is also OK. I think b) is changing the meaning a bit.

kooiu is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Tdol,
    Thank you for your response. I also want to thank others on this site who have helped me improve my use of articles.

I know those refers to people/things far from the speaker/writer in space/time/discourse/mind. But I still have a problem with the correctness of (C).

This is because "those" is considered indefinite when used vaguely to refer to people or things (an unknown number of people/things or an unknown type of people/things). Hence "some" before people/things to replace "those" may be appropriate???? (not sure)

For example, Salaries are higher here than those (salaries/some salaries) in my country (is this correct?)

Since we do not know the number of the people involved, does "those" in the sentence in my original post suggest an indefinite/unknown number of people (an unknown type of people), or suggest exactness/exhaustiveness (all of the people)?

If "those" suggests exactness, could that come from "involved in"?

What precisely suggests exactness to make (C) correct?

bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I would re-write your sentence as follows:

It structured the perception of people (generally speaking) involved inthe international business of development, particularly those in the government...

It is the word "Particularly" before "those", which delineates a select few, or as you say exactness.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Bainca,
    Then why "the" in the first introductory sentence below and not in the second?

1. Thee information you are referring to is a referent form.
    2. Information previously referred to is a referent

Both are introductory statements to explain what a referent form and a referent are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kooiu View Post
    I want to know if A, B or C is the correct way to reframe the following sentence:

It structured the perceptions of those involved in the international business of development, particularly those in the government of the developed countries.
    I agree. Choice C. is the best one.

A. is out. People, even though defined by in the international business of development is still general, whereas those is specific.

B. is out. Some/many/most people limit the noun people, whereas those does not.

C. is in. The makes the noun people specific.

Does that help?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear Casiopea,
    I agree with you that "the" makes "people involved" specific. I am still not sure if being specific means being identifiable/distinguishable to justify the use of "the".

For example, while "the people involved" is specific, we really do not know how many people.

I am still confused.

Post Thanks / Like

OK. What if we look at it from a different angle?

People in my class hate exams.
    The people in my class hate exams.

In the first example, the noun people is general and define; in the second example, people is specific and defined. That is, the specifies which people; pinpoints it in space. We might not know which people, but by adding the, the author is making it clear that whoever the people are, the are known, at least to someone. Which is why you might hear someone ask the following question when given:

Max: The people in my class hate exams.
    Pat: Which ones?

Does that help?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

But how correct I am to use "the" to refer to new information as in my original statements? May be there are rules to address this problem given that my dictionary indicates that "those" can be used vaguely (in an unclear way).

A.
    It structured the perceptions of people involved in the international business of development, particularly people in the government of the developed countries.

B. It structured the perceptions of some/many/most people involved in the international business of development, particularly some/many/most people in the government of the developed countries.

C. It structured the perceptions of the people involved in the international business of development, particularly the people in the government of the developed countries.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kooiu View Post
    But how correct I am to use "the" to refer to new information as in my original statements?
    New information? My understanding is that you are trying to rephrase nominal those, the referent of which is vague, yes, and left open for interpretation;i.e., which people?, but it's nonetheless specific; i.e., those = certain people, neither defined nor limited in number; e.g., some, many, most.

Does that help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast