Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question How to avoid this repetition

    "He was a good writer and he did know this article was good enough to be published in any well-known magazine, so he submitted it to such magazine." - this is the meaning I wish to express.
    Does the below sentence read better and express the same meaning?
    "He was a good writer and he did know this article was good enough to be published in one of well-known magazines, so he submitted it to one of them."

    Thanks,
    Nyggus

  2. #2
    bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,044
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to avoid this repetition

    This is how I would put it:

    He was a good writer and he knew this article was good enough to be published in a well-known magazine, so he submitted it to one such magazine." It is OK here with the repeatition of 'magazine'.

    did know is emphatic, why so? This looks to me as a simple affirmative statement.
    Last edited by bianca; 18-Jun-2007 at 18:03.

  3. #3
    nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to avoid this repetition

    Quote Originally Posted by bianca View Post
    This is how I would put it:

    He was a good writer and he knew this article was good enough to be published in a well-known magazine, so he submitted it to one such magazine."

    did know is emphatic, why so?
    Well, it is an option, but for me this "one such magazine" doesn't read fluently - rather a bit clumsy like my first option (in which, BTW, it should be "such a magazine" instead of "such magazine"). But it's my opinion, and I am not too fluent in English...

    But note that you also changed the meaning of the sentence in two places: (1) I wrote "he did know" instead of "he knew" on purpose, in order to stress that "he really knew", so in your version you simply removed this emphasis; and (2) I'd say "any well-known magazine" has a little different meaning than "a well-known magazine", or at least it stresses that the piece would go in any well-known magazine, which, I think, does not follow from your version.

    Best,
    Nyggus

    BTW, I just noted your editing - it is the part of a larger text so this stress was needed there, so I wish to keep it as it goes well with the other part.

  4. #4
    Jason72 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to avoid this repetition

    He was a good writer and he knew this article was good enough to be published in a well-known magazine, so he submitted it to one such magazine.
    You can omit this if you want, it isn't necessary.

  5. #5
    bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,044
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to avoid this repetition

    Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    Well, it is an option, but for me this "one such magazine" doesn't read fluently - rather a bit clumsy like my first option (in which, BTW, it should be "such a magazine" instead of "such magazine"). But it's my opinion, and I am not too fluent in English...

    But note that you also changed the meaning of the sentence in two places: (1) I wrote "he did know" instead of "he knew" on purpose, in order to stress that "he really knew", so in your version you simply removed this emphasis; and (2) I'd say "any well-known magazine" has a little different meaning than "a well-known magazine", or at least it stresses that the piece would go in any well-known magazine, which, I think, does not follow from your version.
    Best,
    Nyggus

    BTW, I just noted your editing - it is the part of a larger text so this stress was needed there, so I wish to keep it as it goes well with the other part.
    OK. If it has to be emphatic, that is.

    "He was a good writer and he did know this article was good enough to be published in any well-known magazine, so he submitted it to one."

  6. #6
    nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to avoid this repetition

    Quote Originally Posted by bianca View Post
    OK. If it has to be emphatic, that is.

    "He was a good writer and he did know this article was good enough to be published in any well-known magazine, so he submitted it to one."
    And it does () read well now!

    Nyggus

  7. #7
    Jason72 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to avoid this repetition

    Quote Originally Posted by nyggus View Post
    Well, it is an option, but for me this "one such magazine" doesn't read fluently - rather a bit clumsy like my first option (in which, BTW, it should be "such a magazine" instead of "such magazine"). But it's my opinion, and I am not too fluent in English...

    But note that you also changed the meaning of the sentence in two places: (1) I wrote "he did know" instead of "he knew" on purpose, in order to stress that "he really knew", so in your version you simply removed this emphasis; and (2) I'd say "any well-known magazine" has a little different meaning than "a well-known magazine", or at least it stresses that the piece would go in any well-known magazine, which, I think, does not follow from your version.

    Best,
    Nyggus

    BTW, I just noted your editing - it is the part of a larger text so this stress was needed there, so I wish to keep it as it goes well with the other part.
    We were given not much context and therefore we cannot provide you the best answer. I'm not sure what do you want from us, precisely.

  8. #8
    svartnik is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to avoid this repetition

    He was a good writer and he knew this article was good enough to be published in any well-known magazines, so he submitted it to one.

  9. #9
    Jason72 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    404
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to avoid this repetition

    I see you are satisfied. Do not mind my previous post!

    All the best!

  10. #10
    nyggus is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: How to avoid this repetition

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    He was a good writer and he knew this article was good enough to be published in any well-known magazines, so he submitted it to one.
    If you choose plural, you should, I think, write "any of the well-known magazines".

    Nyggus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. China: How to avoid "Do you understand?"
    By Noego in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-Apr-2007, 12:02
  2. Thing to avoid when making compositions
    By Cache in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Jan-2007, 11:20
  3. How to avoid ambiguity
    By nyggus in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Jun-2006, 17:04
  4. Unecessary repetition of meaning
    By Elbonio in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19-Mar-2005, 02:59
  5. Advice: Things to Avoid
    By RonBee in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 15-Jun-2004, 19:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk