Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: nerd and geek?


    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 5
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    nerd and geek?

    Are nerd and geek synonymous,if not, how do they differ?
    thanks in advance.

  1. Ouisch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 4,142
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: nerd and geek?

    There is a very slight difference between the two.

    A nerd is someone who doesn't fit in with the "popular" crowd. He doesn't dress fashionably, doesn't use the latest slang. He is socially and physically awkward.

    A geek sometimes possesses some of those same traits, but he is always very intellectual and has a passion for something academic, whether it be computers, or history, or playing chess. Bill Gates is a good example of a geek.


    • Join Date: May 2007
    • Posts: 5
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: nerd and geek?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch View Post
    There is a very slight difference between the two.

    A nerd is someone who doesn't fit in with the "popular" crowd. He doesn't dress fashionably, doesn't use the latest slang. He is socially and physically awkward.

    A geek sometimes possesses some of those same traits, but he is always very intellectual and has a passion for something academic, whether it be computers, or history, or playing chess. Bill Gates is a good example of a geek.
    I understood what really geek means with your good example.
    Could you please set an example for nerd?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

    • Join Date: Apr 2007
    • Posts: 1,044
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: nerd and geek?

    Strange, the word 'nerd' was borrowed into Swedish, though slightly changed to befit the Swedish pronounciation (nörd). However, it means 'geek'. Like in: a "computer nerd", not a "computer geek" ('data nörd').

    G.E.E.K., as an acronym, stands for General Electrical Engineering Knowledge. (or, is it a backronym?)

    I have read that the difference between the terms "geek" and "nerd" is widely disputed. I, for one, often here my students say "I'm such a geek!", where 'geek' is used derogatorily.
    Last edited by bianca; 23-Jun-2007 at 12:52.

  2. Ouisch's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2006
    • Posts: 4,142
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: nerd and geek?

    Quote Originally Posted by ullstring View Post
    I understood what really geek means with your good example.
    Could you please set an example for nerd?

    Urkel (from the old TV show Family Matters) is a typical nerd, as is Lisa Loopner (a character from Saturday Night Live).

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: nerd and geek?

    Quote Originally Posted by bianca View Post
    I have read that the difference between the terms "geek" and "nerd" is widely disputed. I, for one, often here my students say "I'm such a geek!", where 'geek' is used derogatorily.
    But geek can also be used in a positive way- plenty are proud to be geeks. However, I haven't heard nerd used positively.

  3. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: nerd and geek?

    To me, a nerd is more of a conformist, more of a traditionalist than a geek. A nerd is considered overly intellectual in more than one area, whereas a geek is more of an enthusiast in one main area:

    computer geek (complusive, non-conformist)
    computer nerd (complusive, conformist)

    That's my understanding.

  4. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: nerd and geek?

    hear --detect auditory output (Note the ear in hear.)
    here --this place

    ~R

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

  5. Casiopea's Avatar

    • Join Date: Sep 2003
    • Posts: 12,970
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: nerd and geek?


Similar Threads

  1. nerd
    By Itasan in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2005, 14:23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •