Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: idioms

  1. #1
    bieasy is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool idioms

    Hi,

    During a conversation, if someone unexpectedly changes the subject of a conversation, we have the following idiom in French: "Qu'est ce que cela a avoir avec la choucroute?..." which means word by word: "what does it have to do with the sauerkraut?..." Do you have something similar in English?

  2. #2
    Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    43,077
    Post Thanks / Like

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: idioms

    G'day bieasy,
    What does that have to do with the price of fish in Denmark?

    .,,
    Shakespeare rules!
    Last edited by .,,; 25-Jun-2007 at 21:58. Reason: To attribute

  4. #4
    bieasy is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like

    Cool Re: idioms

    Quote Originally Posted by .,, View Post
    G'day bieasy,
    What does that have to do with the price of fish in Denmark?

    .,,
    Shakespeare rules!
    Funny! Thank you!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: idioms

    G'day Bieasy,
    I am very happy that you liked my joke. I am even more pleased that the joke had the desired effect and you obtained an answer.
    It has been a pleasure.

    .,,

  6. #6
    bieasy is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • Belgium
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    653
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: idioms

    Quote Originally Posted by .,, View Post
    G'day Bieasy,
    I am very happy that you liked my joke. I am even more pleased that the joke had the desired effect and you obtained an answer.
    It has been a pleasure.

    .,,
    Have I hurt you?? If yes,sorry! That wasn't my intention. I just found it more interesting than "what does that have to do with the price of tea in China"

  7. #7
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: idioms

    "It has been a pleasure" certainly doesn't indicate hurt feelings.

    ~R

  8. #8
    svartnik is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: idioms

    Quote Originally Posted by bieasy View Post
    Hi,

    During a conversation, if someone unexpectedly changes the subject of a conversation, we have the following idiom in French: "Qu'est ce que cela a avoir avec la choucroute?..." which means word by word: "what does it have to do with the sauerkraut?..." Do you have something similar in English?
    this is what I usually say:

    non sequitur definition - Dictionary - MSN Encarta

Similar Threads

  1. idioms
    By nasir in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-Aug-2007, 13:23
  2. Our Free Idioms Dictionary!
    By Red5 in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-May-2007, 20:15
  3. Idioms and Phrasal Verbs
    By Cache in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-Jan-2007, 04:43
  4. idioms
    By alma mie in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-Nov-2006, 13:15

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •