Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: more effective

  1. #1
    svartnik is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default more effective

    Hello

    It is a more effective method.

    It is an effective method.

    what is the difference in meaning between the two sentences.

    Effective means producing the desired result.

    But what does more effective mean? Producing more the desired result? Producing more? something either produces the desired result or not. what does more mean?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,044
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: more effective

    The adj. effective looks to me as being self-sufficient - meaning having the desired or intended result/effect. More effective sounds wrong, it must be a pleonasm. But maybe not. 'Less effective' means not measuring up to the desired expectation. More effective - better than expected?
    Last edited by bianca; 21-Jun-2007 at 21:03.

  3. #3
    svartnik is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: more effective

    Quote Originally Posted by bianca View Post
    The adj. effective looks to me as being self-sufficient - meaning having the desired or intended result/effect. More effective sounds wrong, it must be a pleonasm. But maybe not. 'Less effective' means not measuring up to the desired expectation. More effective - better than expected?
    Hej Bianca

    Agreed. To me, less effective sounds odd too. I would say not effective.

  4. #4
    bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,044
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: more effective

    however, I'm not sure it is a pleonasm. I've come across both 'less' and 'more' effective in spoken and written E.

  5. #5
    svartnik is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: more effective

    Quote Originally Posted by bianca View Post
    however, I'm not sure it is a pleonasm. I've come across both 'less' and 'more' effective in spoken and written E.
    The most obvious kind of misuse is that which results from sheer error in understanding. One or two people start misusing something and others follow suit.

    hej da

  6. #6
    bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,044
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: more effective

    are you dead sure about that? I, for one, cannot imply anything until I know it for certain. I didn't say I was sure it wasn't a pleonasm - sounds like that, and yet it doesn't. A mere opinion.
    I see you are familiar with 'hej då', can you speak Swedish, by any chance?
    Last edited by bianca; 21-Jun-2007 at 23:11.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    24
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: more effective

    Hello..I've checked the British National Corpus, and it does registers tons of "more effective"s used as a multi-word unit..So I'd say it certainly IS used, even though it sounds awkward to say the least.On the other hand, in an informal context, I think I would say something like "My, that was dead effective!!".what do you think?

    Ha det (sorry-that's Norwegian.. )

  8. #8
    Anglika is offline No Longer With Us
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    19,448
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: more effective

    Quote Originally Posted by svartnik View Post
    Hello

    It is a more effective method.

    It is an effective method.

    what is the difference in meaning between the two sentences.

    Effective means producing the desired result.

    But what does more effective mean? Producing more the desired result? Producing more? something either produces the desired result or not. what does more mean?

    Thanks
    "More effective" implies that there is comparison to another method, and that the other method is less effective.

    Praising a child for good results is more effective in teaching than punishing for poor results.

    Hitting a dog is less effective in training that rewarding with food.

  9. #9
    svartnik is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,892
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: more effective

    Hello

    thanks for the answers

    Anglika, but what does less mean in less effective?
    Effective seems like an absolute adj.

  10. #10
    bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,044
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: more effective

    Quote Originally Posted by monty python View Post
    Hello..I've checked the British National Corpus, and it does registers tons of "more effective"s used as a multi-word unit..So I'd say it certainly IS used, even though it sounds awkward to say the least.On the other hand, in an informal context, I think I would say something like "My, that was dead effective!!".what do you think?

    Ha det (sorry-that's Norwegian.. )
    "Ha det!"- is Swedish, too, nordic languages (S, N, D) are very much alike. How do you say it in Italian?

    svartnik, how about being 'ineffective'??
    Last edited by bianca; 22-Jun-2007 at 11:55.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. more effective way to learn English
    By Fame in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Nov-2006, 13:27
  2. How can I be an effective teacher?
    By princesscj in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Oct-2006, 19:06
  3. cost effective?
    By bosunyum in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Feb-2006, 03:51
  4. effective learning
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 14-Sep-2004, 16:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk