Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Anonymous
    Guest
    #1

    is this correct?

    please help me settle this with my dad. last night i went to his house. a pen rolled off the table and i exclaimed It Fell ! he proceeded to tell me that this was impossible because something cant just fall! i told him that i just described what happened not why! he claims that my phrase It Fell is improper english. i say i don't think so. please settle this. he loves to play these word games with me ( semantics ) and i hope that my term It Fell ! is proper.... help...

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2
    If things can't just fall, how did Isaac Newton get the idea about gravity? According to tradition, an apple fell on his head. Meteors fall from the sky, don't they? I'm not sure that I get his point, though with the pen, it somehow acquired the momentum to roll off the table, so the was an impluse that started it.
    Ask him what rain does.

  2. Susie Smith
    Guest
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    If things can't just fall, how did Isaac Newton get the idea about gravity? According to tradition, an apple fell on his head. Meteors fall from the sky, don't they? I'm not sure that I get his point, though with the pen, it somehow acquired the momentum to roll off the table, so the was an impluse that started it.
    Ask him what rain does.
    Raindrops are falling on my head....

  3. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4
    The poor little cat fell
    And tumbled into the well.

    :)

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5
    According to the Bible, humankind fell in the Garden of Eden.

  4. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6
    My meatball fell off my plate onto the floor,
    Then it rolled right out the door.

    :)

  5. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: is this correct?

    Quote Originally Posted by tom stevens
    please help me settle this with my dad. last night i went to his house. a pen rolled off the table and i exclaimed It Fell ! he proceeded to tell me that this was impossible because something cant just fall! i told him that i just described what happened not why! he claims that my phrase It Fell is improper english. i say i don't think so. please settle this. he loves to play these word games with me ( semantics ) and i hope that my term It Fell ! is proper.... help...
    It is proper English. Are you sure that his point wasn't that it is impossible for a pen to move itself? :?

    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 44,225
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8
    It does in Bahai:
    Thus relateth to thee this swift-moving Pen
    http://bahai-library.com/?file=compi...rates_bwc.html

    OK, cheating I know.

  6. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 16,166
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    It does in Bahai:
    Thus relateth to thee this swift-moving Pen
    http://bahai-library.com/?file=compi...rates_bwc.html

    OK, cheating I know.

Similar Threads

  1. Are these sentences correct?
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-Jun-2008, 04:59
  2. Correct mistakes in passage
    By Wai_Wai in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-Mar-2008, 08:27
  3. Correct English-urgent request to correct sentences
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 28-Nov-2006, 19:25
  4. How say: correct behaviour; become good again.
    By Wai_Wai in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Oct-2004, 18:14
  5. Is it correct to write like this? Please advise,thx teachers
    By Helped Wanted in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-Apr-2004, 20:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •