Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 124

Thread: adding s

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jack
    "100% other parties fault."
    Why is "parties" not "party"? Is it because "Other" is singular so you add an "S" to party?
    It's 100% the other party's fault. (OK)
    It's 100% the other parties' fault. (OK)

    100% of the blame belongs to the other party. (singular)
    100% of the blame belongs to the other parties. (plural)

    Whose fault?
    The other party's fault. (OK)
    The other parties' fault. (OK)

    All the best,

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by jack
    "I have a lot of motorcycles picture." <--I know this is incorrect, but why? what does the sentence mean or this just doesn't make sense at all?

    "I have a lot of motorcycle pictures." <--This is what i want to say.
    'motorcycle' functions as an adjective: It tells us what kind of 'pictures. Adjectives do not take -s. Nouns do:

    I have three motorcycles. (Noun)
    I have three motorcycle pictures. (Adjective)

    All the best,
    I am not sure if I've ever heard or seen using 'motorcycle' as an adjective.

    IMO, it should be motorcycle(noun)+picture(noun), and if one wants to make plural, the 's' goes then to the second noun(pictures) in such case.
    Let's see more examples:

    e.g. a motorcycle accident (singular)
    motorcycle accidents (plural)

    :wink:




    [/b]

  3. #13
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    It is common to treat nouns as adjectives, as in your example, motorcycle accident. In that phrase, motorcycle is being used as an adjective.

    :)

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    It is common to treat nouns as adjectives, as in your example, motorcycle accident. In that phrase, motorcycle is being used as an adjective.

    :)
    Ooops. I didn't know about that rule before.

    Now, I stand corrected.

    Thanks a lot, Ron. :D

  5. #15
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,570
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're welcome.

    :D

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by henry
    Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    Quote Originally Posted by jack
    "I have a lot of motorcycles picture." <--I know this is incorrect, but why? what does the sentence mean or this just doesn't make sense at all?

    "I have a lot of motorcycle pictures." <--This is what i want to say.
    'motorcycle' functions as an adjective: It tells us what kind of 'pictures. Adjectives do not take -s. Nouns do:

    I have three motorcycles. (Noun)
    I have three motorcycle pictures. (Adjective)

    All the best,



    I am not sure if I've ever heard or seen using 'motorcycle' as an adjective.

    IMO, it should be motorcycle(noun)+picture(noun), and if one wants to make plural, the 's' goes then to the second noun(pictures) in such case.
    Let's see more examples:

    e.g. a motorcycle accident (singular)
    motorcycle accidents (plural)

    :wink:




    [/b]
    It's a noun in form and an adjective in function. It tells us what kind of pictures. 'motorcycle' is not the object of the verb or the subject of the sentence. It's not functioning as a noun.

    Compound nouns are good examples of nouns functioning as adjectives:

    houseboat (noun+noun)
    What kind of boat?
    The house kind.

    Hope that helps.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you still friends with her? <---correct? why? what does it mean? Why does "friends" have a "s"?
    Are you still friend with her? <---correct? why? what does it mean?

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jack
    Are you still friends with her? <---correct? why? what does it mean? Why does "friends" have a "s"?
    Are you still friend with her? <---correct? why? what does it mean?
    'friends' refers to 'you' and 'her'. You could also say,

    Are you (two) still friends?
    Are (the two of) you still friends?

    All the best,

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,344
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Hey, did you know farmers like animals?" <--correct? what does it mean?
    "Hey, did you know farmer likes animals?" <--correct? what does it mean?

    one farmer like many animals. <--how do i say this in my format?
    eg.
    "Hey, did you know farmer likes animals?" <--correct?


    one farmer like one animal. <--how do i say this in my format?
    eg.
    "Hey, did you know farmer likes animal?" <--correct?
    or
    "Hey, did you know farmer likes a animal?" <--correct?
    or
    "Hey, did you know farmer likes one animal?" <--correct?

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    12,970
    Post Thanks / Like
    If the person or animal is specific, one, then make the nouns specific by stating who and what kind of animal. If the people or animals are general, then make the nouns general by adding -s:

    1. Hey, did you know farmers like animals? :D
    ==> Farmers in general like animals.

    2. Hey, did you know farmer likes animals? :(
    ==> that farmer over there likes animals/ Bob the farmer likes animals/ the farmer down the road likes animals/ etc.

    3. Hey, did you know farmer likes animal? :(
    ==> that farmer over there likes cows.

    All the best,

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. adding ed
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 13-Dec-2004, 11:21
  2. Adding -ed
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 07-Dec-2004, 11:55
  3. adding -s
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 10-Nov-2004, 11:48
  4. adding -ing
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2004, 12:06
  5. Adding -ed and -s
    By jack in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Sep-2004, 14:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •