Which expression is more appropriate?

a) to get inspiration
b) to find inspiration
c) to draw inspiration
d) something else?

Thank you

Member Type
Student or Learner
As with everything in language, it depends on context.

You're right.
If I want to say something like
The poet/the artist
a) got
b) found
c) drew
inspiration from the experience of a walk he went on.

Which should I chose?
Which are the differences among these possible choices?
THank you

Last edited:

Delmobile

Member Type
Other
Any of the three would fit, as you know. There are very subtle differences in meaning. To my mind:

"the poet got inspiration" - straightforward. He went for the walk, and that's what happened.

"the poet found inspiration" - slightly more poetic. Perhaps without expecting it to happen, the poet was inspired during his walk. He found inspiration on his walk as one might find money, or wildflowers.

"the poet drew inspiration" - more poetic still. You draw something out of something else, like water from a well. This lays more emphasis on the walk as containing the potential inspiration, there to be drawn forth by the poet.

[native speaker & writer but not teacher]

Member Type
Student or Learner
Any of the three would fit, as you know. There are very subtle differences in meaning. To my mind:

"the poet got inspiration" - straightforward. He went for the walk, and that's what happened.

"the poet found inspiration" - slightly more poetic. Perhaps without expecting it to happen, the poet was inspired during his walk. He found inspiration on his walk as one might find money, or wildflowers.

"the poet drew inspiration" - more poetic still. You draw something out of something else, like water from a well. This lays more emphasis on the walk as containing the potential inspiration, there to be drawn forth by the poet.

[native speaker & writer but not teacher]

Thank you...;-)
Is there any other way to say it?

Delmobile

Member Type
Other
One way would be to describe exactly what it was that inspired the poet/artist. "The XXXX along the narrow path he walked each morning inspired the artist to attempt an even more ambitious project."

Status
Not open for further replies.