juliadavison12 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Course of True love never did run smooth saying and explaining it

Does it mean there is a rocky road ahead for young lovers and obstacles are in the way before you come to an smooth patch.

Can someone explain this for me please in a better way please and what it exactly means please.

BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Course of True love never did run smooth saying and explaining it

Quote Originally Posted by juliadavison12 View Post
    Does it mean there is a rocky road ahead for young lovers and obstacles are in the way before you come to a[n] smooth patch. (But not always young lovers.)

Can someone explain this for me please in a better way please and what it exactly means please.
    No need - you've got it!

b

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Course of True love never did run smooth saying and explaining it

G'day Bob and Julia,
    I tend to disagree with you both.
    I am of the opinion that the course of true never runs smooth. Neither for young lovers nor old lovers.
    I have loved my wife truely for more than 20 years and expect to love her for atleast as many again but our love has never run smoothly.
    There are constant bumps and niggles that require constant attention from us both or we would both cease to be an us and become a them.
    The course of true love never ever runs smooth.

Boredom and complacency and ruts are smooth but love is sparky and dangerous and edgy and life.

Life loves completely proud and true or exists behind bleak fears

esltutor is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that it applies to young and old people, to young love and old love, and that there will always be bumps in the road (problems). Sometimes it will be smooth, sometimes rocky.

The point is that you should not think that just because you have problems, you do not truly love each other and, therefore, should terminate the relationship (although sometimes that may be the best option). Just know that there will be ups and downs (good times and bad times).

That's what I think it means.

Debra

jiaruchan is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by juliadavison12 View Post
    Does it mean there is a rocky road ahead for young lovers and obstacles are in the way before you come to an smooth patch.

What I am interested to learn is why past tense is used?

The Course of True love never did run smooth vs. The Course of True love never does run smooth ?

Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jiaruchan View Post
    What I am interested to learn is why past tense is used?

The Course of True love never did run smooth vs. The Course of True love never does run smooth ?
    The past tense is used because that's how Shakespeare wrote it.
    The course of true love never did run smooth - Shakespeare Quotes
    Lysander is saying that, in his reading and experience, the course of true love never did run smooth. He is applying that to his current situation. If you want to reframe the quote out of context, you could put it into whatever tense you like (and possibly make it means things that were never intended in the original).