1. Unregistered

Red face going + v1ing going to go v1ing help please

Hi,

Could you please break down the grammatical differences between these two sentences please. I am presuming this is correct:

I am going fishing. (present continuous)

I am going to go fishing. (future using going+to)

Also:

I am going to go fish. (?)

I am having problems breaking down the differences of when used and if with I AM GOING TO...... is always followed by v1- GO DO etc, then v1 ing, in this construction!

Could one of you please break these down simply for me!!!!!!

Much appreciated

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: going + v1ing going to go v1ing help please

I don't fully understand the last part of your question; ask again with specific examples if you still have questions.

As far as the verb "fishing" is concerned, 'I am going fishing." is not present continuous. 'I am fishing.' is present continuous.
    "going fishing" is usually used to say what you will do in the future. 'I (will go)(am going) fishing on Tuesday.'

'I am going to go fishing (on Tuesday).' would normally be shortened to 'I am going fishing (on Tuesday).', but you can say 'I am going to go fishing one of these days.'

'I am going to fish.' is not incorrect but 'I am going fishing.' is what is usually said.
    However, a sentence like 'I am going to fish in this lake until I catch a bigger fish than Joe did.' is something a native speaker would say.
    Last edited by 2006; 26-Jun-2007 at 07:55.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    'I am going to go fishing (on Tuesday).'
    Going to go/come are often avoided for stylistic reasons only. Grammatically it is correct to say I am going to go" but Present continuous is preferred: I am fishing on Saturday.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim View Post
    Going to go/come are often avoided for stylistic reasons only. Grammatically it is correct to say I am going to go" but Present continuous is preferred: I am fishing on Saturday.
    Of course native speakers and advanced students will understand and won't be perplexed by "I am fishing on Saturday." But lower-level students may ask why we are using the present continuous tense for a future event. So, I would first teach them to say 'I'll (= I will) be fishing on Saturday.', which of course means the same as 'I am going (to go) fishing on Saturday.'

Even if you ask a native speaker, 'What (are you doing) (will you do) on Saturday?', I think they are at least as likely to say 'I am going fishing.' or 'I'll be fishing.' as they are to say 'I am fishing.'

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim View Post

Hmm, interesting differences Dr. As a native speaker I simply would never say in normal everyday language "I am fishing on Saturday".

To me it is far more natural to say "I am going fishing on Saturday".

Furthermore, I think it is pretty much the norm that is am are + fishing is taught as NOW in most situations. Using the example you gave would cause a lot of unnecessary confusion in my humble opinion. But your the expert.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli View Post
    Hmm, interesting differences Dr.
    No I said: I am going to go/come is avoided for stylistic reasons. Just imagine you say:
    I am going to go there or I am going to come in the evening. Grammatically speaking there is nothing wrong with them but stylistically especially the repetition of go sounds awkward. Don't you think so?