1. wendy

Dear MikeNewYork...I'm still confused

Quote Originally Posted by I
    ...But it was a great show. Gale fucking like beast in the beginning. The Canadian party (Emmett in plaid should be made criminal!). Dr. Dave's possessiveness really came out finally (I mean, really, change flight arrangments without even a "mother, may I"? Bad manners, Dr., very bad manners). The prom scene was very sweet (although a bit sugary for my tastes).

1. So noun+ ving +noun ---->can used as a sentence, as noun, as individual, without following by clause or modifying some word?

2. Is it participle phrase or gerund phrase?

3. Is it the same case as "Michael and David disagree about Michael puttting up his posters"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol
    Not really; I'd change the punctuation:

But it was a great show: Gale fucking like a beast at the beginning.
    1.So after you change the punctuation[:] In your opinion, what does the sentence be?

a.gerund ---Gale's fucking like a beast at the beginning

b.participle ---Gale who is fucking like a beast at the beginning

c. headlines/scene title ---progressive form without verb to be

d. Something else. Please tell me what is it.

2. Is it the same case as 'Brian setting up Ethan' in the below article?

Brian setting up Ethan: another great bit of filmmaking, played beautifully, in the middle of a not-good episode. Brian's careful timing, pulling out his business card right after Justin walks in, giving Ethan just enough time to realize . . . followed by that Brian smug smile of nasty satisfaction. Good stuff from Fab, here, too, as he realizes what's happened. And his run for the exit - as in, "let me get away from these two crazy people!" - is darkly funny.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dear TDOL...

[quote="wendy"]
    Quote Originally Posted by I
    ...But it was a great show. Gale fucking like beast in the beginning. The Canadian party (Emmett in plaid should be made criminal!). Dr. Dave's possessiveness really came out finally (I mean, really, change flight arrangments without even a "mother, may I"? Bad manners, Dr., very bad manners). The prom scene was very sweet (although a bit sugary for my tastes).

1. So noun+ ving +noun ---->can used as a sentence, as noun, as individual, without following by clause or modifying some word?

2. Is it participle phrase or gerund phrase?

3. Is it the same case as "Michael and David disagree about Michael puttting up his posters"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol
    Not really; I'd change the punctuation:

But it was a great show: Gale fucking like a beast at the beginning.
    1.So after you change the punctuation[:] In your opinion, what does the sentence be?

a.gerund ---Gale's fucking like a beast at the beginning

b.participle ---Gale who is fucking like a beast at the beginning

c. headlines/scene title ---progressive form without verb to be

d. Something else. Please tell me what is it.
    TDOL's punctuation change made one sentence and one fragment into one complete sentence. The colon connected the fragment about Gale to the sentence ending with show. That, in itself, did not change the part of speech of "fucking". But it does make the phrase closer to the title/headline use of the participle (because it follows "show").

I would use the "Gale" form, not the "Gale's form" after the colon. In that case it would be a participle and would be very close to a scene/title.

Brian setting up Ethan: another great bit of filmmaking, played beautifully, in the middle of a not-good episode. Brian's careful timing, pulling out his business card right after Justin walks in, giving Ethan just enough time to realize . . . followed by that Brian smug smile of nasty satisfaction. Good stuff from Fab, here, too, as he realizes what's happened. And his run for the exit - as in, "let me get away from these two crazy people!" - is darkly funny.
    Yes, it is very close. It is not a real "scene", as from a play or a movie, but it treats it as one. :wink:

3. wendy

Quote Originally Posted by you

TDOL's punctuation change made one sentence and one fragment into one complete sentence. The colon connected the fragment about Gale to the sentence ending with show. That, in itself, did not change the part of speech of "fucking". But it does make the phrase closer to the title/headline use of the participle (because it follows "show").

I would use the "Gale" form, not the "Gale's form" after the colon. In that case it would be a participle and would be very close to a scene/title.
    "

1.I'm sorry to ask again your answer confuse me. Which case
    A.Gale
    B.Gale's
    that would be a participle which closer to the title/headline use of the participle ??

Yes, it is very close. It is not a real "scene", as from a play or a movie, but it treats it as one. :wink:

2.So you mean both Brian setting up Ethan and Gale fucking like beast are the participle which closer to the title/headline use of the participle

3.They are both participle because they don't follow possessives but Can I make them the possessive form Brian's setting up Ethan and Gale's fucking like beast in the beginning?? as the same as
    david disagree about micheal putting up the posters
    david disagree about micheal's putting up the posters
    I'm so confused...

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

[quote="wendy"]

"

1.I'm sorry to ask again your answer confuse me. Which case
    A.Gale
    B.Gale's
    that would be a participle which closer to the title/headline use of the participle ??

The Gale form. The possessive form is the gerund form, not usually used for titles.

2.So you mean both Brian setting up Ethan and Gale fucking like beast are the participle which closer to the title/headline use of the participle
    Yes. Brian'Then may be a real title. It is difficult to tell from that blurb. But in either case, these two are equivalent in structure.

3.They are both participle because they don't follow possessives but Can I make them the possessive form Brian's setting up Ethan and Gale's fucking like beast in the beginning?? as the same as
    I'm so confused...
    Grammatically, you can do that. Stylistically, the possessive + gerund is not normally used for titles. The participle form is more about an action. The gerund form is more about a thing. The gerund is a noun.

5. wendy

So you mean both Brian setting up Ethan and Gale fucking like beast are the participle which closer to the title/headline use of the participle

Yes. Brian'Then may be a real title. It is difficult to tell from that blurb. But in either case, these two are equivalent in structure.
    So Brian setting up Ethan and Gale fucking like beast are progressive verb form without verb to be which use in headlines, right

They are both participle because they don't follow possessives but Can I make them the possessive form Brian's setting up Ethan and Gale's fucking like beast in the beginning?? as the same as

Grammatically, you can do that. Stylistically, the possessive + gerund is not normally used for titles. The participle form is more about an action. The gerund form is more about a thing. The gerund is a noun.
    So in your opynion From the two articles above Brian setting up Ethan and Gale fucking like beast are more about an action [participle] or about a thing [gerund]

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendy
    So you mean both Brian setting up Ethan and Gale fucking like beast are the participle which closer to the title/headline use of the participle

So Brian setting up Ethan and Gale fucking like beast are progressive verb form without verb to be which use in headlines, right

They are both participle because they don't follow possessives but Can I make them the possessive form Brian's setting up Ethan and Gale's fucking like beast in the beginning?? as the same as

So in your opynion From the two articles above Brian setting up Ethan and Gale fucking like beast are more about an action [participle] or about a thing [gerund]
    Yes and yes. :wink:

7. wendy

2. So in your opynion From the two articles above Brian setting up Ethan and Gale fucking like beast are more about an action [participle] or about a thing [gerund] ???

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendy

2. So in your opynion From the two articles above Brian setting up Ethan and Gale fucking like beast are more about an action [participle] or about a thing [gerund] ???
    Sorry. Action/participle. :D