Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    wendy Guest

    Default I don't get it#6

    which is correct??


    "I was on your Web site, and you have some pictures and videos of guys who are partying like ******* animals"

    "I was on your Web site, and you have some pictures and videos of guys who were partying like ******* animals"??

  2. #2
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,567
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I don't get it#6

    Quote Originally Posted by wendy
    which is correct??


    "I was on your Web site, and you have some pictures and videos of guys who are partying like ******* animals"

    "I was on your Web site, and you have some pictures and videos of guys who were partying like ******* animals"??
    They are both correct and have the same meaning.

    The first focuses on the current action (what you are seeing now).
    The second focuses on the past action (what the guys were doing when they were filmed).

  3. #3
    wendy Guest

    Default Re: I don't get it#6

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by wendy
    which is correct??


    "I was on your Web site, and you have some pictures and videos of guys who are partying like ******* animals"

    "I was on your Web site, and you have some pictures and videos of guys who were partying like ******* animals"??
    They are both correct and have the same meaning.

    The first focuses on the current action (what you are seeing now).
    The second focuses on the past action (what the guys were doing when they were filmed).



    1. So the both sentences describe what the guys were doing in the picture right??

    2. Which one do you prefer??

  4. #4
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,567
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I don't get it#6

    Quote Originally Posted by wendy
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by wendy
    which is correct??


    "I was on your Web site, and you have some pictures and videos of guys who are partying like ******* animals"

    "I was on your Web site, and you have some pictures and videos of guys who were partying like ******* animals"??
    They are both correct and have the same meaning.

    The first focuses on the current action (what you are seeing now).
    The second focuses on the past action (what the guys were doing when they were filmed).



    1. So the both sentences describe what the guys were doing in the picture right??

    2. Which one do you prefer??
    Yes, both describe the same action.

    I prefer the past tense version, because it is clear that the action took place in the past.

    It is not uncommon, however, for people to use the present tense to refer to the action in photographs, videos, movies, etc. It is as if they are transporting the action from the past to the present because they are seeing it in the present. :wink:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk