Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    wendy Guest

    Default still confused #2

    A "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys partying way past their prime."

    B "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys, partying way past their prime."

    C "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys still partying way past their prime."

    D "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys, still partying way past their prime."



    1. So ALL the four sentences mean the same that the older guys are still partying past their prime, right???


    2. I think sentence C. is strange for me because it doesn't have comma between guys and still, I'm right or wrong?, The comma is important or not???


    3. Is sentence C the same as sentence D???

  2. #2
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: still confused #2

    Quote Originally Posted by wendy
    A "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys partying way past their prime."

    B "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys, partying way past their prime."

    C "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys still partying way past their prime."

    D "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys, still partying way past their prime."



    1. So ALL the four sentences mean the same that the older guys are still partying past their prime, right???


    2. I think sentence C. is strange for me because it doesn't have comma between guys and still, I'm right or wrong?, The comma is important or not???


    3. Is sentence C the same as sentence D???
    1. Yes.

    2. I prefer the comma, but it isn't essential. Try speaking the sentences in sequence. Pause slightly when you reach the comma in D. The comma adds a small effect. It seems to emphasize the sadness of it all.

    3. Yes, the ultimate meaning is the same.

  3. #3
    wendy Guest

    Default Re: still confused #2

    I don't understand All these older guys, partying way past their prime. It is A or B


    A the older guys are still partying past their prime

    B the older guys who are still partying past their prime

  4. #4
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: still confused #2

    Quote Originally Posted by wendy
    I don't understand All these older guys, partying way past their prime. It is A or B


    A the older guys are still partying past their prime

    B the older guys who are still partying past their prime
    It is definitely B.

    It could be A if they have done this before, but we don't know that. :wink:

  5. #5
    wendy Guest

    Default Re: still confused #2

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol
    It depends on how you see the two parts connecting. They are two sentences that work together and they can be bridged in different ways:

    It's sad (that) all these older guys (are) partying way past their prime.
    What is sad is all these older guys (who are) partying way past their prime.

    I don't understand what Tdol means. Does He gives me two choices or what???

    "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys partying way past their
    prime."

    what does it mean?I don't get it?

    a.It's sad (that) all these older guys (are) partying way past their prime.
    b.What is sad is all these older guys (who are) partying way past their prime.

  6. #6
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: still confused #2

    Quote Originally Posted by wendy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol
    It depends on how you see the two parts connecting. They are two sentences that work together and they can be bridged in different ways:

    It's sad (that) all these older guys (are) partying way past their prime.
    What is sad is all these older guys (who are) partying way past their prime.

    I don't understand what Tdol means. Does He gives me two choices or what???

    so "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys partying way past their
    prime."

    what does it mean?I don't get it?

    a.It's sad (that) all these older guys (are) partying way past their prime.
    b.What is sad is all these older guys (who are) partying way past their prime.
    Yes, he was giving you choices.

    It's sad that all these guys are partying way past their prime.
    It's sad, isn't it? All these guys are partying way past their prime.
    It's sad, isn't it? All these guys partying way past their prime.

  7. #7
    wendy Guest

    Default Re: still confused #2

    so which is correct??


    a.It's sad (that) all these older guys (are) partying way past their prime.
    b.What is sad is all these older guys (who are) partying way past their prime.

  8. #8
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: still confused #2

    Quote Originally Posted by wendy
    so which is correct??


    a.It's sad (that) all these older guys (are) partying way past their prime.
    b.What is sad is all these older guys (who are) partying way past their prime.
    They can all be correct if they are properly puctuated. :wink:

  9. #9
    wendy Guest

    Default Re: still confused #2

    "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys partying way past their
    prime."

    what does the above sentence means ?I don't get it?

    1.It's sad (that) all these older guys (are) partying way past their prime.
    2.What is sad is all these older guys (who are) partying way past their prime

  10. #10
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    13,780
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: still confused #2

    Quote Originally Posted by wendy
    "It's sad, isn't it? All these older guys partying way past their
    prime."

    what does the above sentence means ?I don't get it?

    1.It's sad (that) all these older guys (are) partying way past their prime.
    2.What is sad is all these older guys (who are) partying way past their prime
    It means the same thing as the others. It stops after "sad" for a tag question, which solicits the listener's approval. Then it continues with a sentence fragment to explain what the speaker thinks is sad.

Similar Threads

  1. simple but confused
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-May-2004, 11:48
  2. still confused...
    By wendy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-May-2004, 15:55
  3. I'm so confused...
    By wendy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-May-2004, 10:26
  4. got confused
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-Dec-2003, 21:56

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •