If you want to mention a certain time you say :
1) dated 01/07/2007

OR

2) dated on 01/07/2007

mir12480

Member Type
Student or Learner
This is the context:

" With reference to letter No. 123 dated (on) 01/07/2007, we would like to inform you that ... "

Anglika

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Other
"With reference to letter [ref] dated [date]" would be the normal phrasing here.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
This is the context:

" With reference to letter No. 123 dated (on) 01/07/2007, we would like to inform you that ... "

However, there is a case when you are supposed to use the preposition on:

Since shortly after 'TIME' began in 1923, each issue has been dated on Monday. Beginning with this issue, in keeping with the new earlier press schedule established in recent months, 'TIME' will be dated as of Friday.
;-)

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
However, there is a case when you are supposed to use the preposition on:

Since shortly after 'TIME' began in 1923, each issue has been dated on Monday. Beginning with this issue, in keeping with the new earlier press schedule established in recent months, 'TIME' will be dated as of Friday.
;-)
That's a good point. Dated and dated on are different:

Reference only
The letter dated 01/07/2007 ...

The date is important
The letter dated on 01/07/2007 ...

The one below is different without on:

Ex: Since shortly after 'TIME' began in 1923, each issue has been dated Monday.

The word Monday is part of the date.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree that "dated" and "dated on" are different, and we should only say 'The magazine was dated Monday, June 18th, 2007.'

"dated on" should mean the day that the date was printed on the magazine or product. For example, some product is produced every day of the week, but all the products are dated on Tuesdays. This means that the expiry date, for example, is stamped on on Tuesdays.

Back to the magazine covers, since the June 18th edition appears for sale on June 11th, it obviously was not dated on June 18th but is dated June 18th.

Member Type
Student or Learner
This seems to be an interesting point. Casiopea, I have not quite understood your explanation. Is it all about the importance of the date?

Your opinion seems to contradict (or at least it doesn't fully agree with) 2006's.

Could you two try to re-explain it?
Thank you

Member Type
Student or Learner
How so? :-D

If I understand, you say that on is just used to stress the importance of the date, while 2006 says that dated on indicates the day that the date was printed on a magazine.
Isn't a synthesis of your opinions possible? Or the difference between your opinions is just due to you living in different places?

I'm afraid I really can't grasp the difference between dated and dated on. Is it really just a matter of importance? Is it just a nuance or does it completely change the meaning of the sentence?

Thank you

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
If I understand, you say that on is just used to stress the importance of the date, while 2006 says that dated on indicates the day that the date was printed on a magazine.
From my perspective, 2006 and I agree.

Englishlanguage said:
I'm afraid I really can't grasp the difference between dated and dated on. Is it really just a matter of importance? Is it just a nuance or does it completely change the meaning of the sentence?
It depends on the context. 2006's product example is a case in point. (I'll use yoghurt as the product.) A container of yoghurt is dated twice: one date tells us when the yoghurt was made, the other date tells us when the yoghurt expires. The dates on that container read,

made: 2007/06/27*
expires: 2007/07/03

Ex: The yoghurt dated to expire on 2007/07/03 ... :tick:
Ex: The yoghurt dated 2007/07/03 .... :tick:
Ex: The yoghurt dated on 2007/07/03 .... :cross:

Ex: The yoghurt dated on 2007/06/27. :tick:
Ex: The yoghurt dated 2007/06/27 ... :tick:

Now, with things that don't expire, like letters, things that have just the one date, the word dated points us to a reference number, whereas the phrase dated on tells us the date is contextually important:

Ex: In a letter dated on or about August 7, 1997, Mr. Plisner wrote to Ms. Krohn [on that day or about August 7]and asked for copies of certain data about D. Upon receiving no response, ... [/url=http://www.ipad.state.mn.us/opinions/1997/97047.html]Source[/url]

The author of that sentence could have omitted on or about and sentence would be as clear as it is now; however, adding on (or about) changes the meaning slightly in that it tells us the date that follows is important in some way:

Ex: In a letter dated August 7, 1997, Mr. Plisner wrote ...

Does that help? :-D

Last edited:
Member Type
Student or Learner
I'll try to shematize it in a few points in order to fix ideas.
If I understand,
a) dated on is used:
a1) to stress the importance of a date
a2) when talking about products/writings/articles to refer to the exact date it was made/written/etc.
b) dated has a more general and less specific meaning

Am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.