Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Pawel Guest

    Default I have a few questions...

    Hi! Let's consider the following example situation: a teacher asked my class about something, I didn't hear the question, and then the teacher asked me for an answer. Should I use Present Perfect or Past Simple to express that I can't answer now because I don't know what the question is: ("I'm sorry, I didn't hear the question." / "I'm sorry, I haven't hear the question.")?

    Which of the following sentences is correct:
    a) "On Saturday we were singing and dancing at the party." or "On Saturday we sang and danced at the party."
    b) "What he was talking to you about before he left?" or "What he talked to you about before he left?"
    c) "I talked to him about it yesterday and he told me everything." or "I was talking to him about it yesterday and he told me everything."

    Thanks in advance for your help.Your advices are really helpful. Have a nice day!

    I'm sorry for my English :)

  2. #2
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I have a few questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by Pawel
    Hi! Let's consider the following example situation: a teacher asked my class about something, I didn't hear the question, and then the teacher asked me for an answer. Should I use Present Perfect or Past Simple to express that I can't answer now because I don't know what the question is: ("I'm sorry, I didn't hear the question." / "I'm sorry, I haven't hear the question.")?
    Say:
    • I'm sorry, but I didn't hear the question.


    You use the past tense ("didn't") to talk about something in the present.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pawel
    Which of the following sentences is correct:
    a) "On Saturday we were singing and dancing at the party." or "On Saturday we sang and danced at the party."
    Both are correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pawel
    b) "What he was talking to you about before he left?" or "What he talked to you about before he left?"
    The first is correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pawel
    c) "I talked to him about it yesterday and he told me everything." or "I was talking to him about it yesterday and he told me everything."
    Both are correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pawel
    Thanks in advance for your help.Your advices are really helpful. Have a nice day!

    I'm sorry for my English :)
    Say:
    • Your advice is really helpful.


    The word "advice" is not considered a count noun.

    Your English is not bad.

    :)

  3. #3
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,681
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: I have a few questions...

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    :)
    Ron, Take a look at your first set of comments. The second line doesn't make sense to me. :wink:

  4. #4
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,571
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Mike, you're right. It was in the past that he didn't hear the question. Can I take that back?

    :)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hi Ronbee and Mike,

    I think there are some differences between past - and past continuous tense. Here goes:

    The past simple is used when an action is done at a specified point in time in the past.

    e.g Where did you go on vacation last year?

    The past continuous is used for something that is happening at a precise moment in the past. This form is also often used to express an interrupted action in progress.

    e.g He wasn't watching the film when I arrived.

    ?? :wink:

  6. #6
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,681
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Mike, you're right. It was in the past that he didn't hear the question. Can I take that back?

    :)
    No you can't, but it isn't clear to what "in the past" refers. :wink:

  7. #7
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,681
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by henry
    Hi Ronbee and Mike,

    I think there are some differences between past - and past continuous tense. Here goes:

    The past simple is used when an action is done at a specified point in time in the past.

    e.g Where did you go on vacation last year?

    The past continuous is used for something that is happening at a precise moment in the past. This form is also often used to express an interrupted action in progress.

    e.g He wasn't watching the film when I arrived.

    ?? :wink:
    That can be true. In the examples posted by the original poster, it is difficult to make much of a meaning difference. In those examples, the continuous focus on an action that occurred over time. The simple past focuses on an action that strated and ended in the past. In many cases, both are true at the same time. :wink:

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork

    That can be true. In the examples posted by the original poster, it is difficult to make much of a meaning difference. In those examples, the continuous focus on an action that occurred over time. The simple past focuses on an action that strated and ended in the past. In many cases, both are true at the same time. :wink:
    OK(long).

    You are good. :D

    ?

  9. #9
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    14,681
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by henry
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork

    That can be true. In the examples posted by the original poster, it is difficult to make much of a meaning difference. In those examples, the continuous focus on an action that occurred over time. The simple past focuses on an action that strated and ended in the past. In many cases, both are true at the same time. :wink:
    OK(long).

    You are good. :D

    ?
    Thanks, Henry. :wink:

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by henry
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork

    That can be true. In the examples posted by the original poster, it is difficult to make much of a meaning difference. In those examples, the continuous focus on an action that occurred over time. The simple past focuses on an action that strated and ended in the past. In many cases, both are true at the same time. :wink:
    OK(long).

    You are good. :D

    ?
    Thanks, Henry. :wink:
    Big :D

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A newbie with usage questions
    By Francois in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 30-Jan-2007, 10:41
  2. questions - have to/must, article, mistakes
    By Lenka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 25-Sep-2004, 07:32
  3. questions from "Friends" script
    By welldone in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-Jul-2004, 19:32
  4. Answering questions
    By dduck in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Sep-2003, 23:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •