Baoluo84 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Question I need somebody to check this translation..

Hi everybody, I'm a new user.. I don't know if this is the right section to post this problem, so tell me if I have to post it somewhere else..

Please tell me if there are any mistakes in these translations (of course there are), expecially in the tenses..

I had been staring for ten minutes at the corpse, that was lying there, on the floor.
    What should have I done? Not only the police would think that I killed him, but they would also end up discovering what had happened in my country house. It was the first time I found myself in a situation like that.
    So i made up my mind. I couldn't do anything but leave. Once I left the room, I went upstairs to prepare my suitcase. I was thinking that I should leave at once. I had been told that every morning there was a train about at ten, and it was necessary for me to take it. It had been my uncle himself to tell me about that train.
    "What time could be now?" I asket to myself, forgetting that I could look at the clock that was hanging above the fireplace. "If I hurry up, I will be able to catch the train; it has to wait at the station for ten minutes"
    Then I had an idea. I went back to the library and i forced myself to take some money from the pocket of the dead man, hoping that the police would think that the killer had taken it.
    I went out and I began walking down the street. I had not been walking for long, when I noticed that a car was coming my way. As the suitcase was extremely heavy, and I was boiling, I asked the driver for a lift. "Would you please take me to the station?" I asked, trying to appear as natural as possible. "Of course", answered the man. I got in, but then I realized that he was looking at me from head to toes.

Yesterday evening I went to bed early, because I had remembered that I had to get up early
    on the following day. It was not the first time that I had been going to bed right after
    having had dinner, and I was thinking about reading for a few minutes to help me catching sleep.
    I began reading, but unfortunately the book was so exciting that I couldn't keep me from
    finishing it. In fact, when I had finished reading the last page, the clock was ringing
    midnight. Then I fell asleep. I had not been sleeping for long, when a strange noise woke
    me up. I was thinking that It would have been better to go and see what - or who - it was,
    even though I would have preferred staying in bed. It was like some water was being poured
    into a big tin container. I had never heared a noise like that in my house.
    Suddenly i thought that it could have been a burglar. It had been an Art teacher of mine to
    tell me how easily burglars can get into a house. Since that time I always fear that
    something like this may happen. I rose from the bed, and went towards the window. It was
    still very dark, and there was no moon. The garden was all covered in white. "It must have
    snowed again some time ago", I told myself. I didn't notice anyone moving around the
    garden, and I was almost thinking that I had imagined to hear that noise.
    "what should I do? What should One do in such a situation?" I asked myself. "If I were
    married, I would send my husband downstairs! Why did this thing happen just when my parents
    are away?".
    After having put on the slippers, I went down the stairs, holding in hand an old tennis
    racket that I had not been using for years. "Should I see somebody, I could hit him hard
    with this, trying to cause as much pain as possible" I thought. Suddenly, the kitchen door opened.
    Last edited by Baoluo84; 02-Jul-2007 at 16:27. Reason: I added a paragraph..

bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: I need somebody to check this translation..

Quote Originally Posted by Baoluo84 View Post
    Hi everybody, I'm a new user.. I don't know if this is the right section to post this problem, so tell me if I have to post it somewhere else..

Please tell me if there are any mistakes in these translations (of course there are), expecially in the tenses..

I had been staring for ten minutes at the corpse that was lying there, on the floor.
    What could I have I done? Not only would the police suspect that I had killed him, but they would also end up figuring out what had happened in my country house (summer house/cottage???). It was the first time I found myself in a situation like that. So I made up my mind. I couldn't do anything else but leave. Once I left the room, I went upstairs to prepare my suitcase. I was thinking that I should leave at once. I had been told that every morning there was a train due about ten, and that I had must take it. My uncle himself was the one who had informed me about that train.

"What time could it be now?" I thought for myself, forgetting that I could look up at the clock that was hanging above the fireplace. "If I hurry up, I will be able to catch the train; it has to wait at the station for ten minutes."

Then I got an idea. I went back to the library and endeavoured to take some money from the pocket of the dead man, hoping the police would think that the killer had stolen it.I went out and began walking down the street. I had not been walking for a long time, when I suddenly noticed that a car was coming my way. As the suitcase was extremely heavy, and I was boiling from the heat, I asked the driver for a lift. "Could you, please, give me a ride/lift to the station?" I asked, trying to appear as unaffected as possible. "Of course", answered the man. I got in, but then I realized that he was scrutinizing me from head to toes.

Yesterday evening I went to bed early, because I remembered that I had to get up early the following day. It was not the first time when I was going to bed right after dinner, and I was thinking that reading for a few minutes would help me fall asleep. I started reading, but unfortunately the book was so exciting that I couldn't keep myself from finishing it. In fact, when I had finished reading the last page, the clock was striking midnight. Then I fell asleep. I had hardly fallen asleep, when a strange noise woke me up. I was thinking that I had better go and see what - or who - it was, even though I would have preferred staying in bed. It was as though some water was being poured into a big tin container. I had never heared a noise like that in my house.

Suddenly, it occured to me that it could be a burglar. An Art teacher of mine had told me how easily burglars could break themselves into a house. Ever since that time I have always feared that something like this might happen to me. I went up from bed and headed for the window. It was still pitch dark, and there was no moon. The garden was all covered in white. "It must have snowed again some time ago", I told myself. I didn't notice anyone moving around the garden, and I was starting to think that the noise had only been in my imagination.

"What should I do? What is One supposed to do in a situation like this?" I asked myself. "Had I been
    married, I would have sent my husband downstairs! Why does this thing have to happen exactly when my parents are away?". Having put on the slippers, I went downstairs, grasping an old tennis
    racket that I had not been using for years. "Should I see somebody, I could hit him mighty hard
    with this, trying to cause as much pain as possible" I thought. Suddenly, the kitchen door opened.
    is it Ok?
    I wrote "I had must take the train" as another way of saying "it was imperative/necessary for me to take the train". A little old-fashioned, but handy nonetheless.
    bianca
    Last edited by bianca; 02-Jul-2007 at 20:13.

Baoluo84 is offline Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: I need somebody to check this translation..

Thanks! At least there aren't many grammar mistakes..