Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Anonymous Guest

    Default is married vs has been married

    hello,
    I like to know what is the difference between ;

    1) John is married for twenty years.
    2) John has been married for twenty years.

    when do I use which?

    Thank you,

  2. #2
    Red5 is offline Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,396
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think #2 "John has been married for twenty years." is correct. I can't think of a situation where #1 would be correct.
    Red5
    Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    727
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default ... married

    Please correct me - present perfect continous assumes action has been ongoing for some time.

  4. #4
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,214
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: is married vs has been married

    Quote Originally Posted by LMK
    hello,
    I like to know what is the difference between ;

    1) John is married for twenty years.
    2) John has been married for twenty years.

    when do I use which?

    Thank you,
    I agree with Red. The second is correct.

    One hears the first, particularly in some regions of the US, but it is not strictly correct. :wink:

  5. #5
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,214
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ... married

    Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    Please correct me - present perfect continous assumes action has been ongoing for some time.
    Yes, but this is not the present perfect continuous. It is the present perfect.

    The present perfect continuous would be:

    Father Jones has been marrying people for years.

    :wink:

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    727
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ... married

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    Please correct me - present perfect continous assumes action has been ongoing for some time.
    Yes, but this is not the prersent perfect continuous. It is the present perfect.

    The present perfect continuous would be:

    Father Jones has been marrying people for years.

    :wink:
    1:1 - my tense / your typo

  7. #7
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,214
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ... married

    Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    Please correct me - present perfect continous assumes action has been ongoing for some time.
    Yes, but this is not the prersent perfect continuous. It is the present perfect.

    The present perfect continuous would be:

    Father Jones has been marrying people for years.

    :wink:
    1:1 - my tense / your typo
    For your sake, I hope you don't make tense mistakes as often as I make typos. :wink:

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    258
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: is married vs has been married

    Quote Originally Posted by LMK
    hello,
    I like to know what is the difference between ;

    1) John is married for twenty years.
    2) John has been married for twenty years.

    when do I use which?

    Thank you,
    I am of the same opinion that the second should be correct as you've mentioned the time -- How long? The present perfect suits for it.

    :wink:

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    727
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ... married

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    Please correct me - present perfect continous assumes action has been ongoing for some time.
    Yes, but this is not the prersent perfect continuous. It is the present perfect.

    The present perfect continuous would be:

    Father Jones has been marrying people for years.

    :wink:
    1:1 - my tense / your typo
    For your sake, I hope you don't make tense mistakes as often as I make typos. :wink:
    Only when cheating. Or attempting such an act. Scouts honor - will do better. May I stay?

  10. #10
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15,214
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: ... married

    Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    Please correct me - present perfect continous assumes action has been ongoing for some time.
    Yes, but this is not the prersent perfect continuous. It is the present perfect.

    The present perfect continuous would be:

    Father Jones has been marrying people for years.

    :wink:
    1:1 - my tense / your typo
    For your sake, I hope you don't make tense mistakes as often as I make typos. :wink:
    Only when cheating. Or attempting such an act. Scouts honor - will do better. May I stay?
    But, of course!

Similar Threads

  1. royal family
    By Lenka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 19-Jun-2004, 00:36
  2. Married or otherwise?
    By Eway in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-Jun-2004, 21:03

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •