Anonymous Guest

Default 'Many of' and 'Much of'

I'm wondering the difference of 'many of' and 'much of'. I thouht 'much of' is used in front of non countable nouns and 'many of' is to countable nouns. But in the next sentence,

Despite the company will eventually need to enhance 'much of' its production line to meet the growing demand, it is believed that it fulfills the required performance standards.

'Much of' is used. So I think I'm wrong. I looked up in the dictionary and
    I thought 'many of' is used in front of people and 'much of' is in front of something.

Give me explanation.

Always thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 'Many of' and 'Much of'

Quote Originally Posted by HelpMe
    I'm wondering the difference of 'many of' and 'much of'. I thouht 'much of' is used in front of non countable nouns and 'many of' is to countable nouns. But in the next sentence,

Despite the company will eventually need to enhance 'much of' its production line to meet the growing demand, it is believed that it fulfills the required performance standards.

'Much of' is used. So I think I'm wrong. I looked up in the dictionary and
    I thought 'many of' is used in front of people and 'much of' is in front of something.

Give me explanation.

Always thanks for your help.
    'production line' can be viewed as either a whole (i.e. a non-count noun) or as more than one unit (i.e. a count noun).

If 'line' is viewed as a whole, then 'much of' is used, and 'much if its production line' means, 80% or so of that one line.

If 'line' viewed as more than one unit, then '-s' is added, like this, 'lines', and 'many of' is used: 'many of its production lines', which means, 80% or so of all the units combined.

Since the sentence in questions used a singular noun (i.e. line), 'much of' is the best choice. Use 'many of' with plural nouns.

:D