Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Comprehension

  1. #1
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Comprehension

    Dear teachers,
    I find the following sentence difficult to understand. Could you please explain it to me?

    Far enough, that is, to make you useful to the gross national product, but not so far that nobody can turn much of a profit on you.

    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    727
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Comprehension

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,
    I find the following sentence difficult to understand. Could you please explain it to me?

    Far enough, that is, to make you useful to the gross national product, but not so far that nobody can turn much of a profit on you.

    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    Enough productivity to justify your being a part of the overall picture but not so much to allow another to turn your efforts into his profit.

  3. #3
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Comprehension

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,
    I find the following sentence difficult to understand. Could you please explain it to me?

    Far enough, that is, to make you useful to the gross national product, but not so far that nobody can turn much of a profit on you.

    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    I'm not sure I get it either. Is there more context?

  4. #4
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Comprehension

    Quote Originally Posted by twostep
    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,
    I find the following sentence difficult to understand. Could you please explain it to me?

    Far enough, that is, to make you useful to the gross national product, but not so far that nobody can turn much of a profit on you.

    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    Enough productivity to justify your being a part of the overall picture but not so much to allow another to turn your efforts into his profit.
    Hmmm. An interesting reading. I don't think the "nobody" in the sentence fits the second part of your explanation. :wink:

  5. #5
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Comprehension

    Dear Mike,
    Here is more context:

    If you become a doctor of philosophy in English or hisory or anthropology or political science or languages or---worst of all---in philosophy, you run the risk of becoming overeducated for our national demands. Not fo rour needs, mind you, but for our demands.
    Thousands of Ph.D.s are selling shoes, driving cars, waiting on table, and endlessly filling out applications month after month. They may also take a job in some high school or backwater college that pays much less than the janitor earns.
    You can equate the level of income with the level of education only so far. Far enough, that is, to make you useful to the gross national product, but not so far that nobody can turn much of a profit on you.

    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear teachers,
    I find the following sentence difficult to understand. Could you please explain it to me?

    Far enough, that is, to make you useful to the gross national product, but not so far that nobody can turn much of a profit on you.

    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.

    Jiang
    I'm not sure I get it either. Is there more context?

  6. #6
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Comprehension

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear Mike,
    Here is more context:

    If you become a doctor of philosophy in English or hisory or anthropology or political science or languages or---worst of all---in philosophy, you run the risk of becoming overeducated for our national demands. Not fo rour needs, mind you, but for our demands.
    Thousands of Ph.D.s are selling shoes, driving cars, waiting on table, and endlessly filling out applications month after month. They may also take a job in some high school or backwater college that pays much less than the janitor earns.
    You can equate the level of income with the level of education only so far. Far enough, that is, to make you useful to the gross national product, but not so far that nobody can turn much of a profit on you.

    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.
    Thank you, Jiang. That helps a lot.

    The "far enough" and "not so far" follow from "equate". He is saying that one will make more money with more education, only up to a point. As long as there are high-paying jobs that require higher education, the education is in demand. Those with more education will get the better jobs. When the demand is not there, people with more education have to settle for jobs with lower wages. If employers were to pay educated people high wages for low-paying jobs, the employers would not be able to make a profit. Does that help?

  7. #7
    jiang is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Comprehension

    :D
    Thank you so much for your explanation. Now I understand it perfectly.
    Jiang

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeNewYork
    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    Dear Mike,
    Here is more context:

    If you become a doctor of philosophy in English or hisory or anthropology or political science or languages or---worst of all---in philosophy, you run the risk of becoming overeducated for our national demands. Not fo rour needs, mind you, but for our demands.
    Thousands of Ph.D.s are selling shoes, driving cars, waiting on table, and endlessly filling out applications month after month. They may also take a job in some high school or backwater college that pays much less than the janitor earns.
    You can equate the level of income with the level of education only so far. Far enough, that is, to make you useful to the gross national product, but not so far that nobody can turn much of a profit on you.

    I am looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thank you in advance.
    Thank you, Jiang. That helps a lot.

    The "far enough" and "not so far" follow from "equate". He is saying that one will make more money with more education, only up to a point. As long as there are high-paying jobs that require higher education, the education is in demand. Those with more education will get the better jobs. When the demand is not there, people with more education have to settle for jobs with lower wages. If employers were to pay educated people high wages for low-paying jobs, the employers would not be able to make a profit. Does that help?

  8. #8
    MikeNewYork's Avatar
    MikeNewYork is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    11,821
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Comprehension

    Quote Originally Posted by jiang
    :D
    Thank you so much for your explanation. Now I understand it perfectly.
    Jiang
    Great! You're very welcome. :wink:

Similar Threads

  1. comprehension
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-May-2004, 23:35
  2. Reading comprehension
    By blacknomi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Apr-2004, 10:33
  3. comprehension, vocabulary and grammar
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19-Apr-2004, 14:19
  4. Need advice on answering Qs from a comprehension passage,thx
    By Helped Wanted in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-Feb-2004, 14:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Hotchalk