• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dual Stance

Phenomena seem to follow a dual stance. Do we call it dichtomoy or duality? The term polarity is often used as well. In order to know what is good you need to know what is bad. We are in need of comaprison and organisation through combination. The existence of words like: and, but, whereas...show how meaning can be made by comparison and addition. Communicative competence is based on grammatical competence , phonetics is based on phonology, pragmatics is based on semantics.... I believe in dulaity in English: past vs present, infinitive vs gerund or present participle... wherever you go there is a dichotomy or if may call it a duality (women and men only).

Some people believe in the primacy of communicative competence although it is based on grammatical competence. Can we really separate the two? We haven't still discovered a unifying insight ie the singularity of the duality which is unified in language. In physics it is the same: there is no unifying of special relativity and quantum field theory so far.

But Duality means discreteness ie continuous space of sound is divided into discrete, incremental territories. Otherwise language or meaning won't be possible. We see and understand through a spectrum of variation degrees. Putting the sounds on a scale or a continuum of varying degrees we slide from low to high or the other way round. It is a game of continuous gliding as with colours. Ultimately the sounds we produce (the noises we make) to make meaning start the snowball. You go up the ladder to morphology, syntax, dicourse but organise them with the help of duality.

Duality and plurality spring form singulariy but there is no meaning in singularity alone. Under conditions of extreme energy there is nuclear fusion which turns hydrogen to helium and other heavier mass through a spectrum, a continuum or a scale of varying degrees. We never stop gliding.

Jamshid
    Last edited by Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim; 07-Jul-2007 at 16:46.

bianca is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dual Stance

Your text has made me wonder:

What about indivi-Duality versus Uni-quensess? If 'individual' literally means 'undivided', is it a duality that cannot be divided (maybe the troublesome coexistence of the self and otherness)? Is it then synonymous or rather antonymous with 'uniqueness' - which fuses us back into a unit.

Being an individual and being unique have different connotations to me. Being individual (one) in the context of many - versus being special or isolated from/un(l)ike the others.The duality in our individuality leaves us disassembled, but creativity fuses us back together as one. Isn't creativity then what definess uniqueness/originality in man? Or, as you put it, the singularity of the (indivi)duality? If so, what is it that defines individuality - what is the breach that divides us?

There is always a context (symbiosis?) for dualities. Love and hate coexist in the context of human emotions. Individuality and uniqueness must coexist as well - as separate entities in the context of ... (id)entity?

bianca
    Last edited by bianca; 07-Jul-2007 at 15:52.

Dr. Jamshid Ibrahim is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Seeing duality in indivi-duality Bianca means there is no escape in absolute sin-gularity. This is true there are seeds of plurality in singularity. In every female there is male and the other way round. You use the terms synonymy and antonymy but I personlly don't believe in synonymy because it would be useless if it really existed. In addition, it would stop us from gliding through the spectrum. By contrast antonymy keeps us on track. We slide back and forth and thus stay in motion. I agree there is creativity in disassembling but it is always easier to put things apart than to put them together. Although women often complain about communication problems with men it is these very communication problems which keeps us in motion and make us creative. What do you call the phenomena? Duality, dichotony, polarity or antonymy? Isn't then duality or duality in singularity a universal basis. Wherever you go there is dichotomy.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

How about duality in terms of the relationship between reflection/the reflected?

People's image of the world is a reflection of themselves onto the world, I believe. I have often pondered on the duality of the reflection and the reflected as a subject of representation of the human identity in literature. They ought to be one and the same: smth reflected should be the perfect image of its own reflection, just like looking at yourself in a mirror. In mirroring, however, no two marks can be identical - above is still different from below ,and parallel is never quite parallel.

Metaphors involving 'uncanny' mirrors and the duality between reflection/reflected are often present in literary criticism.
    Last edited by bianca; 07-Jul-2007 at 18:00.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe you can approach duality from various angles and apply it to nearly everything. It can be painting, language, human psychology and identity. I remember a literary book I read titled the mirror and the lamp. The mirror symbolizes reflection ie a copy of the original whereas the lamp is the fountain of projection. The question is what's literature, art, language or life? Is it only a reflection coming from outside like the mirror or a projection coming from inside. Indeed human identity can be seen as the singularity of the two. I personally believe in multiple identities depending on various factors.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

As with reflection and the reflected, dualitites are only two poles of the same energy. But essentially they are one and the same.

We have to go above, or transcend the dualities. And the bridge between them is there - it has only to be discovered. Take for instance love: it is the thesis, and can easily turn into hate - antithesis. The reflection of the reflected. In my eyes hate is love, only opposed in character - we only have to see how they are capable of transforming into each other. We talked about passion and its power to glide from one state into another. Love and hate cannot be different energies; just different situations, states, of the same energy - the passion of truth (Lacan). We remember our enemies more than we remember our friends, because love is soothing, superficial, but hate goes deep. But as we become aware that love and hate are the same energy, watching it, we start a new force within ourselves which is synthesis. And this is the balance we're looking for in dualities, the one that keeps us afloat.

bianca
    Last edited by bianca; 08-Jul-2007 at 16:51.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

You put it very nicely Bianca as thesis - antithesis = synthesis
    True hate is related to love. We hate after love. We hate because we are hurt. Hate is better than no reaction which I think is utmost punishment. Hate means you care that's why you are hurt. It also shows you are human, can be touched. I really admire your way of seeing duality from so many perspectives. In all these reflections there are two opposing poles which can be reconciled. It is like the struggle between good and evil. That's why I said evil or hate is necessary to know kindness and love. The comaprisons are compelling.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Dr.

I have mentioned individuality versus uniqueness, thesis / antithesis - synthesis, reflection / the reflected. Also, I asked myself what it is that actually breaches us in two (since duality is inherent in our individuality - or 'twofoldedness') and fuses us back into one (uniqueness - or 'oneness'). Likewise, the ubiquitous subject of Eros and Thanatos, love and death and the duality this "duet" entails. I search my answers in the realm of paradoxes, in myths. Why? because myths are present in everything we do. Eros is the creative, warm energy within ourselves - like Faust's cultural creativity in the second part of Goethe's masterpiece, or in Peer Gynt's adventure when he struggles his way over high mountains and ruffled seas until he eventually owns up to his love for Solveig. Freud uses Eros as an amalgam concept for the human ability to stand up to and tame the destructive, primitive forces of Death, Thanatos - which conceptualizes our fears, diseases, weariness, hate, evil, or the "not-being" as opposed to the "being" embodied by Eros. Out of this struggle between the two, Eros/thesis and Thanatos/antithesis, there comes the guilt, and with it the balance, the creativity, the civilizing power in us humans. No balance, or creativity, or civilization, without guilt. We fight Thanatos through creativity. Guilt-ridden, we give birth to brilliant masterpieces, write wonderful poetry, crack genious idees, and out of these our very uniqueness emerges to glue us back into (synth)essence or synthesis. Without Thanatos, Eros would be childish, vaucuous, uninteresting, just like Cupidon as depicted in many Italian Rennaissance paintings; it would be an emptiness worse than the ugliest, darkest void there is. Eros and Thanatos, the 'being' and the 'not-being', are the reflection and the reflected sides of the human paradox, two opposed valences of the same life-giving force or energy - the power of creation.

I also mentioned identity - I would call it the seat of this human paradox. Essentially, identity is something illusionary, a stigma or a label attached to the lifelong pursuit for our innermost balance or synthesis as I referred to above. Here we have the breached human in a lonely pursuit for something we like to call identity. When nothing, not even creativity seems to satisfy our innermost hunger for balance and fullfimment, the frustration expresses itself in the outcry for myths, and then quiets down in a lonely wandering along the road to our innermost identity. The myths of Orestes and Oedipus were born out of an identity crisis in classic Greece, due to the collapse of the Greek civilization a couple of centuries before the advent of Christ. We are all, just like Willy Loman, peddlers in a never-ending quest for our personal myths.

Myths are the quintessence or the core of esence, they come before language, before creativity - they harbour existential answers and bridge the unfathomable gap between dualities (or the Saussurian binary oppositions). Without them, we've lost our own reflections. We're doomed to darkness. Faith, for instance, is a mythical concept - a speck of light in the dark. A bridge between being and not-being.

bianca
    Last edited by bianca; 09-Jul-2007 at 16:15.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope I haven't digressed too much from your topic of dualities, Dr.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Not at all Bianca you haven't digressed but developed the duality theory in detail. Your interest in and hunger for knowledge knows no boundaries. You touch upon different areas and show us how they flow from duality into singularity and vice versa. Your first point individuality versus uniqueness can merge with your second point of identity. There seems to be a drive for balance as an end. Interestingly human language (bank - tank) and computer language (current - no current) are based on duality as well.

This principle is part of human life but I still wonder whether I can call it duality or dichotomy. Do you know the difference?
    Regards
    Jamshid

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast