Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Susie Smith Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eric2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Susie Smith

Eric, you've got the wrong attitude. Think English is simple, easy, and not at all complicated; and that's what it will be.

What's more, if English were even more simple than it already is, it wouldn't be half so fascinating! Just think of that!

After all, compared to learning Chinese, learning English must be a piece of cake.

:wink: :D
    Thanks for the lesson you taught me, Mrs. Smith. I was just complaining about English complication for a while. :wink: Because sometimes it's really messing me up. I do even get freaked out that how I can merge into this new language system and culture when I'm abroad.

Btw, Chinese is surely easier than English, I think. You guys just feel scared towards Chinese characters. But I have to say, it's the same as English words. All you have to do is only to remeber it.

The difference is Chinese grammar system is not very strict and even kinda random. As long as you can make yourself clear sometimes, it's good enough. For example, we add "person " after "country" to set up a word which difines people where they are from. Or we only describe future, present, past things using time words. We won't change verb or be words when time changes.
    :wink: Easy?
    Yeah, Chinese characters really freak me out.

Do you mean like "China person" or "Peru Person"? Also like "I go there tomorrow." "I go there yesterday." , etc. ?

That's really interesting and yes, it sounds easy! I had no idea it's like that.

eric2004 Guest

Yeah, Mrs. you're very very clever. China person, Japan person, America persion,ect. And it can be also used for residents somewhere.

And, as in," I go tomorrow, we go......he go......."
    No changes on verbs.

Of course ,all of those are only used in Chinese characters.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

China person, Japan person,etc, is a much more logical way to go about things.

Susie Smith Guest

Yeah, Mrs. you're very very clever. China person, Japan person, America persion,ect. And it can be also used for residents somewhere.

And, as in," I go tomorrow, we go......he go......."
    No changes on verbs.

Of course ,all of those are only used in Chinese characters.
    That God for that! Just imagine having to make minor changes to the characters!

:wink:

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Well, languages could be more complicated, but thank goodness they are not.

:wink:

More complicated? You'd better kill me then.

Do you know another language, I mean, be able to use it, Sir Ron?

I heared you had to learn another foreign languages too in high school, right?

Btw, no offense, just wonder to know. Do all you guys almost have your religious beliefs?
    I know a little German. I studied it in high school, but I didn't have to.

There are many church-going people in America. Most Americans believe in God. Some people like to talk about religion; some don't. I will be happy to talk about religion in general, but I would prefer not to talk about my own religious beliefs.

(Say: "I heard...."

(Say: "I just want to know" or "I am just wondering."

:)

eric2004 Guest

:D Ron poet, you're the same as what I learned from a book. American don't actually want to talk about religion in public or to other people. And when it comes to politics or race issues, those are the same things, right?
    Whatever, I'll ask your more questions in the other post here. Let's end this post here. :wink: I'd like to see you in General discussion column.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

:D Ron poet, you're the same as what I learned from a book. American don't actually want to talk about religion in public or to other people. And when it comes to politics or race issues, those are the same things, right?
    I think your book generalized too much. Probably way too much. How much or how little a person likes to talk about religion is an individual thing. Some people like very much to talk about religion. Others would prefer not to discuss it at all. The same goes for politics or race.

(Say: "Americans don't like to talk about religion.")

Whatever, I'll ask your more questions in the other post here. Let's end this post here. :wink: I'd like to see you in General discussion column.
    OK. Feel free to start another thread. You might want to post a link to it here.

:)

eric2004 Guest

http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/vi...c&start=20

Here, please, my great poet teacher. :)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4